IU reaches tentative deal with Indiana senator

IU has reached a preliminary agreement with Sen. Luke Kenley, R-Ind., to make school more affordable for in-state students, said University spokesman Larry MacIntyre.

While nothing is definite, MacIntyre said the University was pleased with talks between Kenley and IU President Michael McRobbie, and both parties said that an official agreement might be announced sometime next week.

On Aug. 23, Kenley said he would not approve the building plans for IU or Purdue until the universities lower the tuition increases passed last month.

But on Thursday, Kenley announced that he will put two of IU’s six building plans back
on Friday’s agenda for approval by the State Budget Committee.

The plans include a $18.5 million IU-Purdue University Indianapolis parking garage and a $1.5 million refurbishing of IU’s outdoor track, which Kenley said he added because the projects were time sensitive.

Four projects, estimated at $7 million, still need to be added back to the agenda for approval before the University can begin work.

Kenley, as chairman of the budget committee, has to approve all building projects proposed by state schools.

The senator criticized IU and Purdue for tuition increases while Hoosier families are struggling to deal with the recession.

Last month IU approved a 4.6 percent in-state tuition increase, and Purdue approved a 5 percent in-state tuition increase for the 2009-10 academic year.

Although Kenley asked both schools to lower their increases, MacIntyre said that would require the board of trustees to meet again and revote.

“The trustees have not indicated any desire to revisit their decision,” MacIntyre said.
Rather, MacIntyre said the University was working on other options to help make school more affordable for in-state students, although he would not say what these options could include.

Kenley said approval of the two plans on today’s agenda is not certain.

“Right now we are going to look at priorities,” he said.

Kenley said Thursday morning that he was still discussing his concerns with McRobbie. He said the outcome of the

remaining plans depend on when Kenley and McRobbie can come to a consensus.
Of the plans awaiting approval, MacIntyre said none are funded from state taxes or student tuition.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, Kenley said an announcement about a tuition solution could come as early as next week.

As for Kenley’s suggestion of what IU’s tuition should be lowered to, he said he did not have an idea at the moment of what he would approve.

“That is what is currently being discussed,” he said.

MacIntyre meanwhile seemed optimistic about the ongoing talks, which he described as “complicated.”

“We think there are some affordability measures that can be done to help in-state
students and please Senator Kenley,” MacIntyre said.