IU Art Museum to throw party

Coffee. Music. Chocolate. Art.

The IU Art Museum will add its own spin to CultureFest with an after party just steps away from the festival.

The museum, noted for its angular architectural style, will welcome new and returning students to enjoy live music, treats and drinks from around the world.

“The evening is beneficial to IU students because it exposes the museum’s value and fun,” said Joanna Davis, manager of the museum’s external relations.

All three of the museum’s year-round exhibitions will be on display.

Students will have the opportunity to roam and explore the artwork while jamming to local Bloomington musician Jenn Christy and her band, which will perform soul-infused rock.

“The museum exhibits an encyclopedic collection of artwork ranging from medieval to contemporary time periods around the world,” Davis said. “Having these resources on campus can be helpfully incorporated to any major.”

Along with art and music, Bloomington’s own BLU Boy Chocolates Cafe & Cakery will provide candies, while Angles Cafe and Gift Shop, which is featured in the museum, will offer samples of fair-trade coffee beans from Indonesia, Latin America and Papua New Guinea.

“From the jazz music to the one-of-a-kind pieces within the gift shop, everything within the cafe is art-inspired,” said Murat Candiler, Angles Cafe manager.

Although the museum was established in the 1940s, this door-opening event is only five years old. Last year, the turnout was about 500 guests.

Davis said she encourages students to meet and greet the museum and become familiar with the Fine Arts Plaza.

After exploring the plaza, sophomore Kadi Mancuso said she planned to attend the party.

“The CultureFest after party is one way to take advantage of the artistic side of what the campus of IU has to offer,” she said.