IU Art Museum greets students with warm welcome party

For some, playing rock music in a museum would be like doing a cartwheel in a library.

However, the IU Art Museum seemed to combine music and art at the Culture Fest After Party in the Thomas T. Solley atrium last night. 

Students who attended this highlight of Welcome Week may wonder why a concert shouldn’t always happen in a museum. 

“Art should never be quiet,” sophomore Angela Pinkerton said.

The atrium reverberated with the sound of Jenn Cristy and her accompanying band.
Besides wandering through the galleries, several attendees chose to dance up close to the Bloomington native band. 

Cristy passionately sang out her own lyrics. 

Onlookers developed a connection with her as she made eye contact with those around her. 

“Anybody can relate to any one of their songs,” Bloomington local Allison Paurazas said.

The museum treated the guests with BLU Boy Café & Cakery’s chocolates that appeared to be a hit since trays were emptied faster than they were brought out. 

A few tasters even joked that chocolate is “good for you if it gives reason to why desserts are worth deserting off of the plate.”

International organic coffees with names such as “Groovin’ Goat,” and “Papua New Guinea’ were served as compliments to the chocolate, which were shared by indulgers surrounding the table. 

Angles Cafe and Gift Shop manager Murat Candiler said the cafe always seeks out unique beverages to pair with its “extraordinary” gift shop.

The evening drew about 500 students, who gravitated in and out of the museum to browse through the galleries. 

New students agreed that getting out and exploring the museum was a great way to make the best of an open agenda with friends, freshman Kaitlin Kennedy said.

Besides welcoming new students to the museum, the affair helped reunite returning students. 

“I was happy to meet up with some friends from last year on such an energetic occasion,” sophomore Quinn Easter said.

Having the night at the museum reminded students that IU has a free art museum on campus which contains an encyclopedic collection of art at students’ fingertips.

“We are glad that this preview went so well,” said Paul Sturm, associate director for development of the IU Art Museum. “The band gave a radical atmosphere, which I hope makes students realize how radical a museum can really be.”