‘Buy Local’ campaign comes to Bloomington

Several bakeries, wineries, businesses and restaurants call Bloomington their home and are advertising their locality.

“Buy Local, It’s Better” signs have been seen in windows of local businesses like Butch’s Deli and Max’s Place.

The small but thriving local businesses try to bring in tourists to sample their specialties, as well as bring alumni back for their favorite Bloomington foods.

The signs are the first phase of a campaign initiated by Downtown Bloomington Inc., partnered with the mayor’s office and supported by many other area associations.

“It’s a good thing to buy locally,” Max’s Place owner Travers Marks said. “We encourage people to do so, and local stores have a lot to offer.”

Ron Stanhouse, president of Bloomington Independent Restaurant Association, said he’s glad the city embraces and looks for ways to support the local businesses.

“Bloomington can really differentiate itself by being a town with so many unique restaurants, and we can’t take that for granted,” Stanhouse said. “The local restaurants can generate a lot of dollars and recycle them faster and to a larger degree back to the community.”

Christy Gillenwater, Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce president and CEO, said Monroe County is especially blessed with independent businesses.

“Although we support all area businesses, we know the importance to contributing to promote local businesses as well,” Gillenwater said.