sports baseball

Hoosiers win it in the 10th

Kipp Schutz made a splash in his hometown of Evansville on Tuesday.

The sophomore outfielder appeared at the plate in his hometown for the first time in his college career and helped his team to a 10-8 victory in a big way.

The road victory marks the last of the Hoosiers’ away games. With Schutz hitting his fifth home run of the season and junior catcher Josh Phegley hitting two homers on the day, the Hoosiers got off to a fast start with three runs in the first inning. The Hoosiers then brought in a run in the next five of eight innings.

They completed the day with two runs in the 10th. With runners on the corners and two away, sophomore Jerrud Sabourin hit a double to right center field to give the Hoosiers the lead and the eventual win.

“He was throwing me all fastballs,” Sabourin said. “I just put a good swing on it.”

Hitting a single and a double, Sabourin led the team with three RBI. He said he hopes this win will help the team ease out of the struggles they had early in the week.

“It always feels great to get a game-winning hit like that,” Sabourin said. “It’s always great to get a win in general.”

Sabourin, along with Schutz and Phegley, combined to score seven RBI. While Schutz and junior shortstop Jack Dunning each pegged a one-run homer, Phegley went yard twice.

With two outs in the first inning, Phegley hit a solo shot to left field. He then repeated with a one-run blast in the top of the fifth, also to left. Phegley has 16 home runs on the season.

Despite the team’s offensive efficiency, IU coach Tracy Smith said freshman pitcher Matt Igel was the star of the game.

“I thought we swung the bat pretty well,” Smith said. “I was very pleased with the performance of Matt Igel coming in and taking control of the game late. Really today, he was the key to victory.”

Along with Igel’s success, the Hoosiers racked up 13 hits. The home team, however, tallied 11 hits on the day.

The Evansville Purple Aces touched home plate off smallball plays and Hoosier errors throughout the first five innings. In the sixth, the Aces’ smallball made a dent in the scoreboard.

Pitcher Matt Carr gave up four runs alone in the sixth, eight on the day, before Igel was pulled in from the bullpen.

But the young freshman and his team proved too strong for the Aces, allowing no runs to the Hoosiers in three of the last four innings of work.

Igel earned his first win as a Hoosier, striking out five and allowing only one hit in three and two-thirds innings of work. Closer Chris Squires pitched for his seventh save of the season in the 10th inning.

Schutz said the game helps a lot with momentum as the Big Ten Tournament approaches.

“It’s a bit of (a) confidence builder, rolling into the Big Ten weekend with four straight wins,” he said. “Hopefully, we can get three in a row against Michigan State.”