Students explore health career options

Today’s fair makes employee, volunteer information available

While many students fear a shrinking job market in the current economy, the health care field seems to be in need of more employees and volunteers.

“The economy has declined in a lot of fields, but health care is a job field that has continued to see growth even in the last job quarter,” said Rachel Tolen, assistant director and pre-medical advisor at the Health Professions and Prelaw Center. “We have noticed an increased interest in students for health care.” 

The Health Programs Fair will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. today in Alumni Hall in the Indiana Memorial Union. The fair is free and open to the public, and students are encouraged to stop by even if they are unsure about graduate or medical school, Tolen said.

The fair provides the opportunity for students to speak one-on-one with admissions representatives from medical schools and other health profession programs such as nursing, dentistry, radiation therapy, physical and occupational therapy schools, Tolen said. More than 700 students are expected to attend the fair, which will represent health care organizations from all over the country.

Tolen advises students to be aware that admission to educational health care programs is competitive, so it is important to plan early. She said it can take a little more time to complete science coursework to fulfill requirements, and volunteer experience is important. 

Representatives from different health care administrations and public-health services will also be present. Agencies such as Bloomington Hospital and Volunteers in Medicine Clinic will also be present, and Tolen encourages students to consider all the career possibilities available to them.

IU School of Medicine Associate Director of Admission Karen Smartt expects to speak with about 150 students who come by her table with questions. 

“They usually range (from issues) regarding acceptance to medical school to issues with students, such as how to improve applications,” Smartt said. 

Smartt said this is an opportunity for students considering medical school to come prepared with questions so she can address them about job shadowing, the MCAT and the interview process. She will also suggest how to strengthen grade point averages and volunteer experience.

Senior and dietetics major Jordan Hollander, who plans to attend graduate school in Chicago next year to become a physician’s assistant, said she found the fair helpful for her graduate school search last year.

“There are so many different programs present, and so much information is available for you,” Hollander said. “It helped me narrow down some schools I was thinking about, and I talked to representatives about prerequisites.”