Turn(over) for the worse: IU struggles to limit mistakes

Team averaging 20.3 turnovers through 8 games

Freshman guard/forward Malik Story loses his balance as the ball comes loose during IU's 70-54 loss to Gonzaga on Saturday at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Many of the turnovers IU has committed this season have been self-inflicted. As one Basketblog reader quipped last week, the Hoosiers just can’t seem to stop shooting themselves in the thigh.

Of the 330 Division I men’s basketball teams, the Hoosiers rank No. 327 in turnovers per game at 20.3. In turnover margin, the Hoosiers are No. 276.

Through eight games, the Hoosiers have turned the ball over more than their opponents in all but one of the contests. On Nov. 26 against Chaminade, a D-II school, IU committed a season-low 11 turnovers.

But when they haven’t been playing the Silverswords, the 4-4 Hoosiers have struggled immensely to take care of the ball. IU coach Tom Crean’s young squad has committed 20 turnovers or more in six games this season. Last year, the Hoosiers turned the ball over 20 times or more only twice.

Last year’s Crean-led Golden Eagles at Marquette accomplished the “feat” only once.

But neither of those teams faced the challenges the rebuilding Hoosiers face this season. IU’s backcourt rotation is composed of a sophomore walk-on, a junior college transfer and four true freshmen.

The Hoosiers have struggled handling the ball so much this season, they’ve turned to freshman Malik Story, primarily the team’s sixth man and backup power forward, to play point guard in spurts out of “necessity, not desperation,” Crean said.

He added that the speed of college basketball is something the Hoosiers are struggling to grasp, with so much inexperience.

With the team struggling to get a possession past halfcourt at times, opponents have begun to pressure the Hoosiers’ young ball handlers. Freshman guard Daniel Moore and junior guard Devan Dumes have each committed a team-high 30 turnovers, and freshman forwards Tom Pritchard, at 23, and Nick Williams, at 20, aren’t far behind.

The only guard on the team with more assists than turnovers is freshman Verdell Jones, who has missed the last two games with a head injury.

Throughout the season, Crean has turned to a baseball analogy to illustrate his team’s mistakes. Like a power hitter with holes in his swing, the Hoosiers too often try to swing for the fences just to end up striking out. Rather than hit the long ball, Crean wishes his team would become a singles-hitting team and try to make the smart pass rather than the heroic one.

On Wednesday, the Hoosiers will need to play within themselves and limit self-inflicted mistakes. Texas Christian University (6-3) has the No. 32 best scoring defense in the nation and a turnover margin about plus-two through nine games.

After the Zags game, Crean said a lot of his team’s turnovers can be attributed to technique issues, such as creating a better angle for an entry pass into the post. But for the most part, the Hoosiers’ struggles have to do with the speed and length of their opponents, something Crean and his coaching staff can’t mirror in practice.

“If we could, we’d play those guys,” he joked.