Religious groups unite at FaithFest

Sunday is the day of rest, but for religious groups on campus this Sunday will be anything but restful.

FaithFest will be at 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday in Dunn Meadow. It will feature booths from about 15 campus religious groups eager to share their message with students.

“It’s a great way to introduce students to a variety of religious groups on campus,” said Melanie Payne, associate director of Orientation Programs and Welcome Week coordinator.

The organizations will offer literature and representatives to talk to, and there will also be food and a bike giveaway.

Junior Laura Woodsmall participated in the event last year and said it was an informal way to get to know religious organizations on campus.

“It was a very relaxed atmosphere, and you can go from certain booths to others,” Woodsmall said. “It was informal and wasn’t as uptight as when you usually meet groups.”

She recommended the event for any freshman or transfer student curious about what the campus has to offer religiously.

Stephanie Michael, the Women’s Ministry Leader of Christian Student Fellowship, has helped organize the event for the past four years. She said it allows students to learn about different religious groups at the same place.

“This way a lot of those organizations are in the same spot and you can ask them questions and see what you’re interested about,” Michael said. “That way students can see if they mesh with that group in one day instead of spreading it out and having to track those groups down in their own time.”

She said the goal of the event is to give students the opportunity to see what is available and ultimately pick an organization that fits them.

“We hope they get plugged in to a group and make that their home,” Michael said.