Sunday, June 16

Indiana football nabs former top-150 recruit Andrew Depaepe from transfer portal

spiufbbrief052424.jpeg

Indiana football added a big piece to its transfer portal class Friday, landing a commitment from Michigan State transfer defensive end Andrew Depaepe, who announced his decision via X. 

Depaepe, a native of Bettendorf, Iowa, was a 4-star recruit in the class of 2023 who ranked as a top-15 defensive end nationally, according to Rivals and On3. He finished as a top-150 recruit by On3 and 247sports. 

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound Depaepe played in one game as a true freshman at Michigan State, a Week 3 affair vs. Washington, but failed to register any statistics. He’ll arrive in Bloomington with four years of eligibility remaining. 

Depaepe is the older brother of William Depaepe, a consensus 3-star defensive end in the Hoosiers’ 2024 recruiting class. 

Indiana’s edge rushing contingency is currently spearheaded by Lanell Carr Jr., who finished second on the team with five sacks last season, and Mikail Kamara, a transfer from James Madison University who starred with the Dukes under new Hoosiers head coach Curt Cignetti and defensive coordinator Bryant Haines. 

The Depaepe brothers add size and length to the room, which takes the field for opening kickoff against Florida International University on Aug. 31 in Memorial Stadium. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.