Saturday, June 15

arts community events

10 free film screenings to catch this Granfalloon Festival

caiuhorror082923-jpg

Granfalloon 2024 is already in swing, but there are still plenty of events to attend before the nearly two-week arts festival comes to an end. As per the 2024 Granfalloon theme inspired by Kurt Vonnegut’s novel, “Jailbird,” which examines the labor movement, the turn of the century and the Watergate Scandal, many of the festival’s featured films revolve around themes of justice and the prison system. Here are 10 free film screenings happening across different Bloomington theaters and parks in the coming weeks.  

May 23: “Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion” 

The 1972 film, “Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion” directed by Shunya Itô follows the story of Nami Matsushima, played by Meiko Kaji. Matsushima was betrayed and wrongly imprisoned by her boyfriend Sugimi, played by Isao Natsuyagi, a detective with ties to the mob. Matsushima ends up in an all-female prison monitored by sadistic male guards where she tries to escape on her quest for revenge, while Sujimi and the Japanese mafia devise a plan for her “accidental” prison death.  

Presented by Cicada Cinema, “Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion” will be screened at 7 p.m., May 23 in the Orbit Room, located at 107 N College Ave. The 18+ up event is free, although seating is limited. Tickets can be reserved on the Cicada Cinema website.  

May 25:"Holes” 

Inspired by Louis Sachar’s 1998 novel, “Holes,” directed by Andrew Davis, follows the story of Stanley Yelnats, played by Shia LeBeouf, a teenage boy who is cursed with bad luck. After being wrongfully accused of stealing shoes from a local homeless shelter, Yelnats is sent to the juvenile detention center Camp Green Lake. Forced to dig holes all day in the blistering dry desert heat to build character, Yelnats faces a corrupt justice system which withholds the boys’ basic necessities and destroys official documents to cover up the warden and counselors’ actions, all while Yelnats attempts to uncover the mystery of just what they are digging for.  

Presented by the Bloomington Parks and Recreation Department, “Holes” will be screened at 9 p.m., May 25 in Bryan Park, located at 1001 S Henderson St. The event is free.  

May 29: "Secret Honor” 

The 1984 one-man-drama “Secret Honor,” directed by Robert Altman and featuring the tagline “Anyone can be president,” poses Philip Baker Hall as a fictionalized Richard Nixon. As Nixon sits alone in his study, he reflects on his life, his consciousness, his time in office and provides the “true” reasons for the Watergate Scandal and the president’s resignation from office, which he refers to as the “Secret Honor.”  

Presented by Cicada Cinema, “Secret Honor” will be screened at 7 p.m., May 29 in the Backspace Gallery, located at 112 W Sixth St. The free event is for all ages. Tickets can be reserved on the Cicada Cinema website.  

May 30: "V for Vendetta” 

The 2005 fantasy thriller, “V for Vendetta,” directed by James McTeigue, takes place in a totalitarian, fascist future Great Britain. V, played by Hugo Weaving, is a freedom fighter set to take down any who have embraced totalitarianism with his violent guerilla campaign. Evey Hammond, played by Natalie Portman, a member of the secret police force, is recruited by V and follows alongside in his plan to liberate England.  

Presented by IU Cinema and Indianapolis’ Kan-Kan Cinema, “V for Vendetta” will be screened simultaneously at 7 p.m. May 30 in the IU Cinema, located at 1213 E Seventh St., and the Kan-Kan Cinema, located at 1258 Windsor St., Indianapolis. There will be a live audience-to-audience component between the two theaters before the screening. The event is free, but tickets must be reserved on the respective theaters’ websites. 

June 1: “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” 

Loosely based on Homer’s “The Odyssey,” the 2000 film “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” directed by Joel and Ethan Coen takes place in Depression-era rural Mississippi where Ulysses Everett Grant, played by George Clooney, escapes from a prison farm still linked to his chain-mates Pete, played by John Turturro, and Delmar, played by Tim Blake Nelson. The three set out on an adventure to recover buried loot before a flood leaves it untraceable forever. Along the way where they encounter strange characters, from a blind prophet to a one-eyed Bible salesman. 

“O Brother, Where Art Thou?” is also presented by IU Cinema and Indianapolis’ Kan-Kan Cinema. The film will be screened simultaneously at 4 p.m. June 1 in the IU Cinema and the Kan-Kan Cinema. There will be a live audience-to-audience component between the two theaters before the screening. The event is free, but tickets must be reserved on the respective theaters’ websites. 

The IU Cinema screening will be followed with a discussion group led by Morgenstern Books.  

June 5: "Brazil” 

The 1985 film, “Brazil” directed by Terry Gilliam, is a comedic, satirical look into a future dominated by technology. Sam Lowry, played by Jonathan Pryce, was once a government clerk, but after getting involved in a case of mistaken identity, Lowry is deemed an enemy of the state. He falls in love with the woman of his dreams, who Lowry realizes may be a terrorist herself.  

“Brazil” is presented by IU Cinema and Indianapolis’ Kan-Kan Cinema. The film will be screened simultaneously at 7 p.m. June 5 in the IU Cinema and the Kan-Kan Cinema. There will be a live audience-to-audience component between the two theaters before the screening. The event is free, but tickets must be reserved on the respective theaters’ websites. 

June 6: "Perfect Days” 

Released in 2023, “Perfect Days” directed by Wim Wenders, follows the story of Hirayama, played by Kōji Yakusho, a toilet cleaner working and living in Tokyo. Hirayama is content with his life, finding joy in the little things like listening to music from his cassette tapes, reading books and photographing trees. More of Hirayama's past is revealed throughout the film through his meetings and encounters.   

Presented by Cicada Cinema, “Perfect Days” will be screened at dusk, roughly 9 p.m., June 6 in Rev. Ernest D. Butler Park, located at 812 W Ninth St. The all-ages event is free to attend.  

June 8: "Chicken Run,” "Muppets Most Wanted” and "Paddington 2” 

From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., June 8, the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, located at 114 E Kirkwood Ave., will be hosting a “Family Friendly Triple Feature.” The films are free, nonticketed and open to the public.  

Screening at 10 a.m., the 2000 animated comedy “Chicken Run,” directed by Peter Lord and Nick Park, follows the story of Ginger, Bunty, Babs and Fowler – four chickens who desperately want to escape from their farm, though all their attempts have failed, and it seems as if time is running out. Once a new rooster, Rocky, joins the farm, the four chickens learn that flying may be the only way out, and they are determined to learn how.  

In the 2014 film, “Muppets Most Wanted,” directed by James Bobin, the Muppets’ new manager Dominic Badguy, played by Ricky Gervais, suggests the group embark on a world tour, which ends up only being a plan devised by Kermit the Frog’s evil look-alike Constantine to steal London’s crown jewels. Constantine escapes prison, taking Kermit's place on tour and landing the Muppet leader in a Siberian prison where he tries to convince his captors of his true identity. “Muppets Most Wanted” will begin screening at 12 p.m.  

The second film in the “Paddington” film franchise, the 2017 film “Paddington 2,” directed by Paul King, follows the beloved bear as he picks up odd jobs to buy his Aunt Lucy her 100th birthday present, only for that gift to be stolen and for Paddington to embark on a journey to unveil the thief. "Paddington 2” will begin screening at 2 p.m.