Kim wins AT&T National for 2nd PGA victory

BETHESDA, Md. – Anthony Kim saved his diamond-studded “AK” belt buckle for the final round, then turned in a gem Sunday in the AT&T National to affirm his status as a rising star.\nThree shots behind going into the final round, the 23-year-old Kim emerged from the pack with consecutive birdies around the turn at Congressional and closed with a 5-under 65 for a two-shot victory over Fredrik Jacobson.\nKim became the first American under 25 years old to win twice in one year on the PGA Tour since Tiger Woods.\nWoods, the tournament host who is recovering from season-ending knee surgery, wasn’t around to see a game that he might have recognized. Kim is an explosive talent who wasn’t getting much out of his game until he dedicated himself more to practice than partying.\nHe eliminated the mistakes on a soft, cloudy morning at Congressional and fired at flags when it made sense. Kim stretched his lead to four shots on the back nine before Jacobson made a charge that came too late.\nKim, who won earlier this year at the Wachovia Championship, finished at 12-under 268 and earned $1.08 million, moving him to No. 6 in the Ryder Cup standings and closer to the top 10 in the world rankings.\nThat his second victory came at Woods’ event held special meaning for Kim, who idolized the world’s No. 1 player as a junior golfer.\n“I would watch everything he did, every move he made, when I was growing up,” Kim said. “So to win his tournament is a true honor. I’m very excited.”\nJacobson, taken out of the mix early with a double bogey, ran off four straight birdies until he ran into trouble off the tee and in the bunker on the 18th hole, scrambling for a par and a 65.\nThe consolation prize was a trip to the British Open as the highest finisher among the top five at the AT&T National who was not already eligible. U.S. Open runner-up Rocco Mediate also secured a spot at Royal Birkdale from a special money list.\nTommy Armour III closed with a 69 and was among six players who tied for third at 271. Armour finished with six straight pars, when one birdie would have earned him a spot in the British Open over Mediate.\nKim has a certain swagger about him and still loves to style, promising all week to break out another of his garish belt buckles, suggesting that he might wait until he got into the final group. But there was no time to wait.\n“Obviously, it’s my new lucky belt buckle,” Kim said.\nHis game is more than just bling.\nWoods first took notice of Kim last year during a practice round at the PGA Championship. During a delay on the sixth tee, he walked over and asked, “What do you think of Anthony Kim?” He clearly was aware the 23-year-old had some ability.\nDean Wilson, whose 67 put him in the group tied for third, played with Kim in the final round and saw a bright future.\n“Awesome,” Wilson said. “He has all the tools. Very confident, very aggressive the way he plays. He’s always shooting at the pins, and it’s pretty good.”