Silent auction will benefit local nonprofit organization PALS

People will be coming together this weekend to eat, drink and bid for the benefit of animals.\nThe fourth annual Wine/Beer Tasting and Silent Auction to benefit People and Animal Learning Services will take place Saturday.\nClose to a dozen local wineries and breweries are supporting PALS by providing a diverse selection of drinks to be sampled during the event. KRC Banquets & Catering will provide the venue and catering for the event.\nPALS, founded eight years ago by IU adjunct instructor Fern Bonchek, is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping people with various disabilities through riding horses for therapy.\nPALS currently houses 11 horses trained to work with riders who need all different levels of therapy.\n“PALS serves children and adults with disabilities as well as at risk youth,” Bonchek said. “Therapeutic riding helps with an extensive list of disabilities; physical, cognitive and emotional.”\nAll proceeds from the event will go toward maintaining PALS programs and a scholarship fund for the riders.\nThe silent auction features more than 100 items varying from days of luxury and pampering for both people or horses, to a generous amount of gift cards from local businesses and restaurants.\nItems featured in this year’s auction include a $500 travel voucher, dinner and a night at the opera, Colts jerseys and a chance at four passes to Disney World.\nPALS Stable Manager Kara Lasher said she is still amazed at the long-term benefits that are provided through riding. Lasher encourages people not only to support PALS by attending the event, but to also volunteer.\n“How can I explain how something like this can change someone’s life,” Lasher said. “People have to come here and experience it.”\nThe event begins 7:30 p.m. Saturday at KRC Banquets & Catering, 216 S. College Ave.\nTickets can be purchased in advance for $20 at The Trojan Horse, or by contacting PALS, or at the door for $25.\nYou must be 21 years old with a valid ID to attend this event.