Four Hoosiers compete in Olympic Diving Qualifications

Two current and two former IU Athletes are making their impact at this year’s Olympic Diving Trials. The trials, which are taking place at the IU Natatorium in Indianapolis this weekend, will go through June 22.\nCurrent IU divers Christina Loukas and Amy Korthauer are participating, as well as former Hoosier divers Cassandra Cardinell and Lindsay Weigle. Loukas will be the only diver competing from the springboards, while the three others will be from the platforms.\nLoukas hopes to make the cut from the 3-meter board on June 19 before heading to the finals on June 21.\nAll four women have accomplished much in their careers. Loukas redshirted her 2007-08 season to prepare for the Olympic trials. During this time she competed in several international events. She won the 1-meter title at the 2007 Kaiser Permanente National Championships in addition to racking up several other top-10 awards.\nKorthauer just completed her sophomore year by finishing fourth at the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships after two top-15 finishes in the Big Ten Championship.\nWeigle currently holds the second place platform score in Indiana history after her impressive performance at the 2007 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. She placed three top-10 scores during that same championship, rounding out her senior season in a winning fashion. \nWhile the other three are hoping to make their first appearances, Cardinell is hoping for her second Olympic qualification. She placed seventh in synchronized diving before the 2004 Athens Olympics. \nIf any of these four Hoosiers make the cut, it will be the third straight Olympics where a women’s Hoosier diver represented on the boards.