Campillo named 1st Team All-American

Jorge Campillo came within a stroke of winning an NCAA title last month, and his near-victory has earned him one of collegiate golf’s highest honors.\nThe junior golfer was named a First Team All-American by Golfweek magazine, becoming the fifth golfer in Hoosier history and the first since 1997 to receive the accolades. Campillo also earned spots on both the first team PING All-America and Golf Coaches Association of America’s All-Nicklaus Teams.\nCampillo shared second place at the 2008 NCAA Championships and equaled Wayne McDonald’s finish at the NCAA Championships in 1969 for the best individual placing in Indiana men’s golf history. Campillo joined fellow first-team All-Americans McDonald (1969, 1970), Kelly Roberts (1975), Shaun Micheel (1991) and Randy Leen (1997) as the only Hoosiers to receive the honor.\nCampillo ended the season with three tournament victories to go with two runner-ups and nine top-10s. His 71.72 scoring average is the third-best single-season average in Hoosier history. Campillo also secured All-Midwest Region honors for the third straight year, first team all-conference honors and was named Indiana’s sportsmanship honoree. He joined PGA Tour players Jeff Overton and Micheel as the only golfers in IU history ever to win a Big Ten championship, Big Ten Golfer of the Year and the Les Bolstad Award for lowest scoring average in the Big Ten in the same campaign.