Ganassi’s gamble pays off for Dixon

IRL Indy 500 Auto Racing

INDIANAPOLIS – Strategy was almost as important as speed Saturday as Scott Dixon won the pole for the Indianapolis 500 with a big gamble by his Target Chip Ganassi Racing team.\nDixon and teammate Dan Wheldon, who took the second spot, both took advantage of Indy’s unique qualifying format, which allows each entry up to three tries on each of the four days of time trials.\nDixon, who has three pole positions in five tries in the IRL IndyCar Series this season, got the biggest benefit of the team strategy, canceling out a four-lap average of 225.178 mph earlier in the day and making it pay off with four laps at 226.366 that held up for Ganassi’s third Indy pole.\n“I was part of that decision, so it wasn’t really a surprise,” Dixon said. “We had been out testing, so we were confident we could go much faster. The tough part came later in the day, knowing whether or not we should do a third attempt (if we got knocked off the pole).\n“One thing that was great out there, even on an average lap for us, we still had the field covered as a team. That just goes to show how strong we are this year.”\nThe New Zealander’s pole run came with just over two hours left in the session and only moments after Ryan Briscoe, the first driver to qualify Saturday, made his own gamble in an effort to give team owner Roger Penske a record 15th Indy pole. The team withdrew his earlier speed of 224.833 and Briscoe, who wound up third, put his Team Penske entry on top briefly with a run of 226.080.\nWheldon’s earlier speed of 225.840, which had held the pole briefly, was then withdrawn by his team with about 20 minutes left. The Englishman, the 2005 Indy winner, responded with a run that came up just short of his teammate at 226.110.\n“The fact of the matter is, when your cars are good and your drivers are good, it’s easy to make those calls that people say take courage,” said Ganassi, who has won the 500 with Emerson Fittipaldi in 1989 and Juan Pablo Montoya in 2000. “We’ve been playing poker here for a lot of years. Sometimes you’re holding all the aces and sometimes you’re bluffing. Just so happens that today we had a good hand.”\nTeam manager Mike Hull added, “We had a clear plan. We knew that one attempt wasn’t going to get it done. ... Truly, Chip Ganassi Racing came here to be aggressive.”\nPenske’s other driver, Helio Castroneves, a two-time Indy winner and two-time pole-winner here, had his car pulled out of the qualifying line by his team earlier in the day because of gusty winds. When the two-time Indy winner finally made his only attempt, he also came up short at 225.733, good for fourth on the busy afternoon.\n“Those (Ganassi) guys had strong cars in qualifying,” Castroneves said. “They did good. We need to work a little bit better for the race and, hopefully, we’ll be a little bit of ahead of them.”