world

Clinton wins West Virginia

CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Hillary Rodham Clinton coasted to a large but largely symbolic victory in working-class West Virginia on Tuesday, handing Barack Obama one of his worst defeats of the campaign yet scarcely slowing his march toward the Democratic presidential nomination.

“I am more determined than ever to carry on this campaign until everyone has had a chance to make their voices heard,” Clinton told supporters as the scope of her triumph became clear. “This race isn’t over yet. Neither of us has the total delegates it takes to win.”

With votes from 22 percent of West Virginia’s precincts counted, she was winning 63 percent of the vote, to 30 percent for Obama.

Obama looked ahead to the Oregon primary later in the month and to the general election campaign against Republican John McCain, but the defeat underscored his weakness among blue collar voters who will be pivotal in the fall.

“This is our chance to build a new majority of Democrats and independents and Republicans who know that four more years of George Bush just won’t do,” Obama said in Missouri, which looms as a battleground state in November.

“This is our moment to turn the page on the divisions and distractions that pass for politics in Washington,” added the man seeking to become the first black presidential nominee of a major party.

Interviews with West Virginians leaving their polling places suggested Clinton’s victory could be as overwhelming as any she has gained to date, delivered by an overwhelmingly white electorate comprised of the kinds of voters who favored her in past primaries. Nearly a quarter were 60 or older, and a similar number had no education beyond high school. More than half were in families with incomes of $50,000 or less, and the former first lady was wining a whopping 69 percent of their votes.

Clinton won at least 15 of the 28 delegates at stake in West Virginia, with 13 more to be allocated.