IUPD investigates 2 weekend sexual assault cases

The IU Police Department is investigating two sexual assaults that reportedly occurred over the weekend.\nIUPD was contacted at about 3:30 p.m. by a Middle Way House counselor in relation to a 19-year-old rape victim at Bloomington Hospital, IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger said.\nThe woman said she had been raped at about 5 a.m. Sunday at Delta Upsilon fraternity, Minger said. The woman said she’d been acquainted with the suspect before and she didn’t know whether she wanted to file a police report. After a while, she decided she wanted to file a report and allowed the hospital to take a rape kit.\nIUPD officers left her in the care of hospital personnel, Minger said. When they returned, a nurse informed them that the victim had left the hospital and didn’t receive the rape kit.\n“It’s a very traumatic experience, so we never know what kind of stress they are under,” Minger said.\nThe woman has been identified by IUPD, but officers weren’t able to reach her Monday night. IUPD plans to continue its investigation on this case.\nIUPD is also investigating another sexual assault that occurred Saturday afternoon. IUPD learned a 19-year-old woman had been sexually assaulted after she met with a man she talked to on Facebook.\nThe victim told officers that the suspect spent the night in her dorm. While the victim was asleep, the suspect began to touch and fondle her, Minger said. She told him to stop and when she lay back down, the suspect forcibly restrained her and tried to remove her underwear and eventually fondled her genitals, Minger said.\nThe victim said she was afraid of the suspect and believed that if she did not comply, she’d be harmed, Minger said.\nThe woman came to the police station to seek a restraining order against the suspect and to take action through the Dean’s office, Minger said.\nIUPD reached the suspect and warned him to stay away from the victim’s dorm. IUPD will continue investigating the situation.