Changing 100 lives in 100 minutes

Doctors to provide free surgery

On Wednesday, a nationwide promotional event will take place at 100 eye-care offices around the country for 100 minutes. “Changing 100 Lives in 100 Minutes” is sponsored by Bausch & Lomb, the manufacturers of the crystalens needed for the cataract correction surgeries the 100 patients will receive.\nThe Eye Center of Southern Indiana in Bloomington was invited to participate in the event. Dr. Daniel Grossman was selected as the ophthalmologist to perform the operation. \n“It is the only lens implant that restores the eye’s ability to accommodate for the lens to change its power while in the eye,” said Dr. Chad Huck, clinical director of the Eye Center and an optometrist. \nBausch & Lomb is providing these free services to 100 people across the country to help those who realize the new technology is available, but might not be able to afford it. \nThe cost to get both eyes done is around $5,000, said Dr. Nicole Bonham, an optometrist with the Eye Center located in Brazil, Ind. \n“My hope is one day that Medicare won’t consider this a luxury cost,” she said. \nBonham was the eye doctor that recommended Bloomington resident Vernon Dudley to receive the free cataract correction lens.\n“I couldn’t believe I was eligible,” Dudley said. “I’m on cloud nine.”\nDudley has already had one eye fixed with a crystalens and will get his second eye fixed Wednesday along with the rest of the 100 candidates. \nDudley said he could already tell the difference with just one eye fixed. \n“My one eye is already 20/20 vision,” he said. \nThe optometrists and ophthalmologists involved are excited to get the chance to help someone no longer have to worry about glasses, Bonham said.\n“When you’re immersed in eye care and it’s what you do every day all day, you can’t fully appreciate the help you’re really providing for people,” Huck said. “So it’s nice to stop and smell the roses and say, ‘wow, this really is wonderful technology.’”\nDudley, though, is simply looking forward to his everyday activities.\n“I love golfing and watching the IU basketball games,” Dudley said. “I just can’t wait for my new eyes.”