Beyond the brew

Weekend Editor

Beer may be its namesake, but Upland Brewing Company should also be as renowned for its restaurant as for its beer.

Amidst unassuming surroundings, Upland Brewing is an off-the-beaten-path gem that has my friends and I already planning our return. The decor is simple, and the atmosphere is casual and fun, with a view of the brewery from anywhere in the main dining room. But it’s the menu that really makes this place work.

Pub grub is an oft-ignored genre of food, especially since most drunks will eat just about anything. Upland, however, takes its kitchen as seriously as it does its brewery, with an eclectic mix of tasty beer-inspired foods.

There’s the award-winning ales, which pair nicely with traditional pub fare, including soft pretzel bites served with spicy beer mustard; burgers of buffalo, beef, chicken or black beans; and brewery fries that are finger-sized rods of potato softness surrounded by light, crispy beer batter. Those are some of the best fries I’ve had in recent memory – the kind you actually eat slow enough to taste rather than just stuffing into your mouth between bites of burger.

Beyond the basics, though, are loads of vegetarian options that go beyond salads and starters, including a contender for best Bloomington sandwich: the Portobello melt, featuring huge grilled mushroom caps, with Swiss cheese, onions, tomatoes and red peppers stuffed between slices of focaccia.

There are also pastas, fish dishes, bratwurst, schnitzel and sandwich offerings, including a hand-pulled pork sandwich that was full of smoky flavor, though a little dry for my taste. Paired with a cool, ginger coleslaw and crispy chips, the meal was filling but not stuffing.

As the weather (hopefully) warms up, Upland’s patio is a perfect spot to share a drink with friends or sit down for a full meal. The view is less than perfect, but the friendly, attentive service and wealth of options more than make up for it.

Plus, enough can't be said about the brewery’s menagerie of beers that constantly expands. From 3 p.m. to 10 p.m. this Saturday, the brewery will celebrate the release of its latest – the Infinite Wisdom Tripel.

The party will include a performance by local band Muzaic, with proceeds from the beer's sale benefiting local radio station WFHB. Giving back to the community is something Upland is known for, with contributions to a variety of charities. And if that doesn't persuade you to make dinner plans, then you obviously have no heart. Or stomach.