As Crean comes, Greenspan needs to go

At around 5:30 April 1, I walked from campus to my house to check in for the evening and caught word that Tom Crean had been elected God of Bloomington with his hiring as the newest IU men’s basketball coach.\nIronically, a couple hours before the breaking news shocked Hoosier Nation, I wrote a column about the need for the University to get rid of Director of Athletics Rick Greenspan. I supported this claim with many instances when his questionable decisions left the department with its proverbial tail between its legs.\nNow, a week later, my Crean euphoria has subsided. I’m very proud of the University in making a seemingly good choice, and I have softened my anti-Greenspan stance a bit. But my opinion still resonates loudly – \nGreenspan must go.\nThe Crean hire provides the University with a chance to start anew with its tail-spinning athletic department. The powers-that-be (the IU trustees, IU President Michael McRobbie, etc.) should jump on the chance to get rid of the man who has done nothing during his tenure but leave a hole in our beloved basketball program, as well as an expensive one in the ground on the north side of Memorial Stadium.\nGreenspan doesn’t deserve credit for the Crean hire – Crean does. Greenspan is hanging by a thread because one of the good guys in college basketball decide a once-in-a-lifetime job like Indiana won’t be knocking at Jim Harbaugh’s sister’s husband’s door every day.\nTony freaking Bennett actually turned down the IU job after deciding IU’s future wasn’t brighter than Washington State’s – a nobody in the Pacific 10. \nDuring his tenure, many among the Hoosier faithful have called for Greenspan’s head. How could you really argue against that sentiment for the man who hired Kelvin Sampson? The men’s basketball program has become a laughing stock on the national stage of college athletics and many people argue the uninspired football coaching choice of Bill Lynch was not what the program needed. Yet Greenspan maintains his spot as the athletics director.\nGreenspan didn’t even do his job in the search. How often do you hear of a committee being set up to find a replacement candidate? Usually it is just a one-man job – that of the athletics director!\nA good indicator on the way people feel about the athletics director was at Senior Night against Minnesota. When then-interim coach Dan Dakich had to plead with the crowd to stop booing, Greenspan just sat there reveling in the Hoosier Nation’s dismay. As a matter of fact, the only success IU has had this season in any sport is from coaches who preceded the Greenspan administration. What has this guy done to help the situation?\nThe basketball program \nis at an all-time low. Droves of angry fans have red faces to match their crimson attire. And somehow the maestro of this operation gets to keep his job? \nWith the breath of fresh air that is Crean charming his way through the city, this is a golden opportunity to ride the coattails and fix everything wrong with IU Athletics. Regardless of the financial ramifications, this guy needs to pack up and go.\nIt’s a no-brainer.