No. 25 Hoosiers look to extend winning streak

Brandon Foltz

On a seven-match winning streak that includes victories against No. 31 Ohio State and No. 45 Iowa, the No. 25 IU women’s tennis team will take on two opponents this weekend that could change its luck – unranked Michigan State and No. 19 Notre Dame.\nThese two matches promise to test the progress the team has made since losing 4-3 to both No. 20 Tennessee and No. 30 Wake Forest.\nSince then, the Hoosiers have had several quality wins. More importantly, they have not lost a doubles point since that time. They’ve also developed stronger chemistry.\n“I think that we have grown a lot as a team,” senior Brianna Williams said. “Tennessee and Wake Forest were a big reality check for us in what we needed to improve in and we have really concentrated on (doubles and three-set matches) ever since.”\nEven though both teams will pose a challenge to the Hoosiers, the team is ready to test its skills against difficult opponents.\n“I think that we will come in with a lot more confidence playing Notre Dame now that we have been winning the doubles point and have been on a seven-game winning streak,” Williams said. \nEven though Michigan State is unranked, the Spartans defeated No. 35 Washington 6-1 on Wednesday. IU coach Lin Loring said he’s less concerned about the non-conference match with Notre Dame and more worried about maintaining a perfect Big Ten record.\n“They’ve changed their doubles and mixed up their singles lineup,” Loring said. “They’re going to come in there really confident. We’re not even thinking about Notre Dame.”\nLoring also said beating lower-ranked teams will help the Hoosiers in the rankings.\n“Our emphasis right now is winning the matches that we’re supposed to win, beating the teams ranked below us,” Loring said. “That’s the most important thing, to make sure we stay on our path to get into the NCAA Tournament.”\nFreshman Maria Guerreiro said the team’s confidence and chemistry is showing in the players’ ability to win close matches. \n“Even when we seem like we’re losing, in the end we always get it,” Guerreiro said. “We’re like the hero – we have a lot of problems, but in the end we get (the win).”\nJunior Sigrid Fischer did not compete in last weekend’s matches against Iowa and No. 57 Minnesota. Loring said he did not know whether Fischer will compete this weekend.