Official dog park to open in June

$50,000 given for construction of local canine grounds

With the help of a $50,000 donation by Canine Companions, an official dog park will be built next year on the grounds of Karst Farm Park near the Monroe County Fairgrounds \nin Bloomington. \nCanine Companions, a Bloomington dog training and boarding company, has partnered with Monroe County Parks and Recreation to create an official dog park for the area. The dog park, expected to open in June 2008, will be built on two acres and feature separate enclosures for big and small dogs. “This park has been a dream for awhile and it wouldn’t be happening without Canine Companions support and sponsorship,” said Kelli Witmer, assistant administrator for Monroe County Parks and Recreation.\nThe park will feature watering stations, shade, video surveillance and a 6-foot fence to create a safe, clean and fun facility, she said.\nThe park will require a $120 yearly membership to help maintain the park. Members will need a key pass to enter, and owners will also need to show proof of vaccinations and make sure the dog is spayed or neutered, according to the Canine Companions Web site. \n“The park will have strict regulations to ensure only responsible owners gain membership to make the park a fun but safe place,” said Bryan Bailey, chief executive officer of Canine Companions. \nThe park will even have a limited number of memberships sold, so as not to overpopulate the park, he said.\nRequiring each owner to have a pass key is a way to keep the park safe by ensuring that only healthy, registered dogs are allowed into the park, Bailey said.\n“We wanted to give back to the community, Bloomington needed an official dog park,” Bailey said. “It’s been something I’ve wanted to do for a while now but didn’t have the financial means at the time.”\nMonroe County Parks and Recreation had approached Canine Companions in order to build a safe dog park, Bailey said. \n“We’ve been involved in every aspect from designing to picking out fencing and lighting equipment,” he said.\nDog owners wanting to gain access to the park will also be encouraged to attend a free training class for the proper dog etiquette at the park, Bailey said.\nOnce open, the park will be accessible seven days a week during daylight hours, Bailey said.