District 6: Volan vs. Hudgins

District 6 City Council candidates Stephen Volan (left) and Marjorie Hudgins (right).

Running for City Council in District 6 are Republican Marjorie Hudgins and Democrat Stephen Volan. Hudgins has a Ph.D. from IU and is a former landlord and self-described “citizen activist” with no prior experience in politics. Volan is an IU alumnus as well. He owns the Cinemat video store and screening room and teaches “Introduction to Chess” at IU. He is the incumbent, and became vice president in 2007. \nTheir plans differ widely. In the video interview offered by HeraldTimesOnline.com, Volan’s biggest concern is transportation. He said money used to subsidize downtown parking should be instead given to the bus system to expand and make it free to all riders. Furthermore, he wishes to create a “park and ride” system with bus shuttles from cheap parking locations. \nHudgins takes a strikingly different approach. Her main concern is the improvement of sidewalks and curbs and better lighting. In an odd twist, she pledges in the video to donate her salary, after taxes, to sidewalk restoration. \nBut what District 6 needs is experience and meaningful action, not the promise of charity. I endorse Stephen Volan because of his well thought-out, important plans for transportation improvement. His capacity for leadership shines through, while Hudgins just reads from a tired script. Moreover, Volan seems to be the one with plans most directly related to quality of life, and Hudgins’ fixation with sidewalk improvement and noise problems seems to be bizarre and aesthetically inclined.