IUDM, RHA to team up this year

Let the countdown begin.\nWith only 52 days left until the Nov. 9, 36-hour IU Dance Marathon, each IUDM participant must raise $400 for the event.\nThis year, the IU Dance Marathon executive council is collaborating with the Residence Halls Association to form the first-ever residence hall dance marathon team. The team is primarily freshmen who live in nine different residence halls, since not all 11 residence halls are participating. With representation from the northwest, central and southeast neighborhoods, the team consists of 31 students total. \n“We want to expand the dance marathon out and into the dorms,” said sophomore Casey Crouse, an IUDM executive council member. \nWith the marathon’s expansion to the residence halls, students who are not in greek organizations are gaining awareness of the event and want to be involved in it. Residence hall participants are currently recruiting other members for the marathon, and each participant has individual reasons for wanting to give his or her time and effort to the cause.\nDuring a retreat held Sunday morning for the residence hall participants, former Riley Hospital patient and IU sophomore Eric Davis told students he would not be standing before them without Riley Hospital. \nWhen Davis was 2 years old, he was diagnosed with a disease that causes extremely low red and white blood cells. Davis’ parents chose Riley Hospital, where doctors suggested either experimental treatments or a bone marrow transplant. His parents chose the experimental treatment option and Davis was able to live a normal life. However, he was reminded of his disease his freshman year of high school. \nWhen his blood cell counts bottomed out again, his only option was to have a bone marrow transplant at Riley Hospital. Davis told students Sunday that his doctor personally flew to Germany to get the bone marrow. The transplant was successful, and Davis now participates in IUDM in support of the hospital that saved his life. \nStories like this are the reason so many participants want to get involved with IUDM, said Kristen Leone, director of recruitment.\nLeone had a summer internship at Riley Hospital in the social work department, which furthered her interest in support of the hospital. Leone explained the purpose behind the cause. \n“We’re standing for those kids who can’t stand,” Leone said. \nFreshman Carolyn Dungan is participating to raise money and awareness for children in Riley Hospital. Dungan’s younger brother Matthew, now 7, suffered complications during birth and went to Riley Hospital for numerous treatments. Since then, Matthew has had health issues, including autism and extreme temperamental moments. \n“I’m participating because I want to figure out more about what is wrong with my brother, figure out more about kids with autism and kids with other problems,” Dungan said. \nDuring the event, children from the hospital visit IUDM participants to remind them of exactly why they worked so hard to raise money for the event. \nLast year, Crouse became a member of the IU Dance Marathon executive council for the first time. While attending Carmel High School, he was involved in a mini dance marathon that lasted six hours and donated funds to Riley Hospital. Crouse was then inspired to continue participation through college, except this marathon would be 36 hours long. \n“Last year at IUDM, a Riley Hospital child said he had trouble standing for 36 seconds, and that inspired me to want to stand for 36 hours,” Crouse said. “I could have managed standing for 36 days for those kids.”