More than just sexuality

Kinsey Institute attracts visitors from across the globe

“Sex museum.” \nEyebrows skyrocket. Faces light up. Heads bob off desks. The term is admittedly crude, but leaves little doubt as to which campus establishment is being referenced. \nThe Kinsey Institute for Sex, Gender and Reproduction investigates questions about sexual health and behavior and explores issues that affect people’s lives. Yet despite its intriguing content and accessibility, an air of mystery pervades the Institute and its resources. \nSometimes comments about the Institute are limited to lewd jokes and references to condoms, sex toys and pornographic materials. However, the Institute is an international resource for scholars and researchers that attracts visitors from all over the globe. \n“There is no other place where an interdisciplinary research community and a comprehensive library can be found under one roof. This is becoming the center for sexual study and scholarly attention,” said Jennifer Bass, director of communications for the Kinsey Institute. \nThe Institute has been controversial since it was founded in 1947 by Dr. Alfred Kinsey who taught the first “marriage course” to IU students in 1939. However, the students, faculty and administration have always been supportive of the Institute’s mission.\n“The University understands that human sexuality is something we all have to deal with and it’s a really neglected area of understanding. All of us are affected by our sexuality, and sexual health is something we need to know more about and not be afraid to study,” Bass said. \nSophomore Peter Robertson first heard about the Kinsey Institute when the documentary “Kinsey” was released. He knew that it was a sexual studies institute but didn’t realize the extent of the Institute’s resources until he took a tour with his class through the Collins Living Learning Community. \nRobertson’s class saw exhibits featuring a special on condoms and sexual board games from the 1970s, as well as a film with photographs and paintings that resembled poses from the “Kama Sutra.” \nRobertson praised the Institute as a valuable tool for exploring sexual issues. \n“I think it’s an amazing resource. When you hear about it, you automatically associate the Kinsey Institute with sex. After going there I realized that it’s not just a big porn store,” Robertson said. \n“It’s really awesome for people our age because we are all experiencing a phase of sexual exploration and thinking about questions that everyone has but doesn’t want to talk about.” \nThe Institute offers a variety of resources for interdisciplinary research and scholarship, including a library with over 115,000 items. Its materials include everything from medical journals to comic books to historical documents and personal diaries – all of which relate to sexuality, gender and reproduction. \nThe library is non-circulating, but students may use the reading room with permission of a faculty member, and materials are also available online. \nThe Kinsey Institute also houses an art collection started by Kinsey as another form of data collection to understand how people represent sex across culture and time. \nStudents are encouraged to attend a new exhibit, Kinsey Confidential, from 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 7 in the Kinsey Institute Gallery. The exhibit will answer commonly asked questions about sexual health and behavior using artwork, photographs, objects and other printed materials. \nAlthough she had no prior knowledge of the Kinsey Institute, freshman Becky Williams expressed an interest in attending the exhibit and learning more about the opportunities and resources the Institute offers. \n“I think this sort of resource is especially applicable because most of us have already been exposed to being sexually active,” Williams said. “We should know more about how and why people think about sex the way they do.” \nThe Kinsey Institute is located on the third floor of Morrison Hall. The gallery is open from 2 to 4 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Tours may be arranged and require reservations. For more information, students can check out the Kinsey Institute Web site at www.indiana.edu/~kinsey/.