Taste of Bloomington not slowed down by rain

38 local restaurants featured during the 25th annual fundraiser

Alberto D. Morales

After enduring rain Saturday morning, the skies cleared up, and Bloomington kicked off its 25th annual Taste of Bloomington fundraiser.\nWhite tents covered 38 different restaurants and services that lined the Showers Commons on Saturday afternoon as Taste of Bloomington coordinators in blue shirts walked around stamping hands, making sure everything began smoothly.\nVolunteer chairman Jeff Baird said the annual fundraiser takes about 2 1/2 hours to set up on the day of the event, after the Bloomington Community Farmer’s Market clears out. Baird said about 6,000 people were expected show up to the event throughout the day. \n“It’s a great time, everyone needs to come," Baird said. "The more the merrier.” \nThe festivities kicked off with live entertainment from Bloomington native singer-songwriter Jenn Cristy. Cristy said this was her first time playing Taste of Bloomington, and she would definitely play again. \n“I don’t play in Bloomington,” Cristy said. “It’s comforting to play shows here when it’s this welcoming.” \nCristy’s set was followed by a waiter-waitress race won by Cheeseburger in Paradise. Other bands such as the Toby Myers Band, Otiel & The Peacemakers, Dynamics and Here Comes the Mummies followed and continued to play until the fundraiser ended.\nMarinés Fornenino attended Taste of Bloomington with her 7-year-old nephew and said she has attended the fundraiser in the past. However, this is first time attending since she’s moved back to Bloomington. Fornenino said if she’s in Bloomington next year, which she expects to be, she will come again. \n“It’s a really great experience,” she said.\nFornenino said she had not sampled much food from the tents, but she did buy strawberry shortcake from BLU Boy Chocolate Café and Cakery and ice cream for her nephew from Bruster’s Ice Cream.\nKevin Mimms Sr. was with his two 5-year-old grandchildren on Saturday as they ran around and played games with each other. Mimms said he likes to try a lot of the food when he comes to the fundraiser. \nHe said this year was not the first year he attended Taste of Bloomington. \n“I spent a lot of years here on the other side of the fence,” Mimms said, referring his time working for the fundraiser. \nVicki Pierce, executive director of >Community Kitchen of Monroe County