Helmond: Crucial link to University community

Based on my observations of the current board’s shortcomings, I endorse Tyler Helmond.\nYes, law student Helmond is the youngest candidate and one of the least experienced. When it comes to “getting things done,” I suspect he would be of dubious effectiveness. But as a voter, why choose an “effective” representative who doesn’t represent you? And with two-thirds of the board appointed by the governor, it’s not like Helmond (or any elected trustee) could suddenly change the University’s course.\nWhat Helmond does offer is a hotline between the trustees and the experience of current students – a means to reconnect them with this vital constituency. Despite the efforts of outgoing student-trustee Casey Cox, the current board has consistently marginalized students in its decisions. It is telling, for example, that incumbent Sue Talbot believes the Board of Aeons, a secret organization of honor students hand-picked to advise the IUB administration, or the distant, pan-system All University Student Association can effectively represent students.\nThe editorial board’s questioning of Helmond also revealed that he has a wealth of ideas for improving the university. Few of these would likely come to fruition, but with IU’s reputation declining and its tuition rising, some new thinking couldn’t hurt.