Brian J. McFillen

Yo, this is a great album.

‘Songs’ shows Yo La Tengo can still pop

The most remarkable thing about Yo La Tengo might be the band’s sheer consistency.
After 25 years and a dozen albums, they continue to crank out carefully crafted, abundantly creative tunes. Their latest album, “Popular Songs,” shows no sign that they’re slowing down.

Brut force

Art Brut is one of the more divisive bands in indie rock.

If you’re new to them, I can guarantee that some of you, upon hearing Eddie Argos’ tuneless talk-singing, will ask “What is this junk?” and immediately go back to Fleet Foxes or Grizzly Bear or something else with pretty vocal harmonies.

Beat down

Of the brief dance-rock explosion in the first half of this decade, Franz Ferdinand’s 2004 debut was the movement’s apex.

Status: Facebook doomed!

The end is nigh! Robert Frost suggested the world would either end in fire or in ice, and T.S. Eliot postulated it would end not in a bang but in a whimper. They’re both wrong: It ends with a click!

This week, the mad demigods of technology have unveiled an “advance” that holds the potential to destroy humankind and all we hold dear. Once activated, there will be no stopping it, no negotiating with it, merely the icy hand of death as our world is ripped apart by forces beyond our comprehension. Oh, sure, they might claim that this is all doom-mongering, that their intentions are benevolent and the experiment harmless, that everything is under control. But such arrogance shall reap naught but tragedy, and the piper will demand payment of us all!

Searching for ...

With all the political conventions and hurricanes and introductions to oddly named vice-presidential offspring, many people seem to have overlooked the single most important news story of the entire week. In a landmark study discussed by the New York Times’ Freakonomics blog, economists Peter Leeson and Claudia Williamson showed that a significant and positive relationship exists between the places where unidentified flying objects are spotted and where America’s most mysterious cryptozoological species, bigfoots (er, bigfeet?) are observed. In particular, the researchers said, the two are both frequently reported in Alaska, Colorado, Oregon, New Mexico, Washington and Wyoming.

Cars v. Bikes

WEEKEND investigates: With cars becoming more inconvenient to drive, could the bike take the car’s place in rock ’n’ roll?

School’s out for summer

Ahh, wasn’t that a marvelous school year? Who’d have thought that 2008-2009 would turn out to be so filled with momentous change? Would crackle with such boundless energy? Would turn out to be such a roller coaster of terrifying lows and soaring highs?

Fall Forward

It all begins again Tuesday: classes, homework, projects, exams ...  Some of you might be asking: What is there to look forward to in fall of 2008? A few campus groups tipped
WEEKEND to new and unusual offerings they are planning for the upcoming semester (and, in a couple of cases, beyond).

Street stress

Before going any further, I want to make one thing clear: I have nothing against bicycling. It’s good for you, it’s good for the environment, it reduces Bloomington’s perennial parking shortage, it gives the rest of us an excuse for a week’s worth of parties every April – all great things. There should be more bicyclists around here.

More articles »