IU embarks on seven-game trip

Ronni Moore

Any competition between IU and Kentucky is usually a significant one on the schedule, but this time around holds a little more importance for the Hoosiers.\nIU has been struggling in recent weeks, and will embark on a seven-game road trip that will begin against the Wildcats. Freshman Kristin King said this game against Kentucky will help them get over a four-game losing streak.\n“I’m sure this game will have a great atmosphere, being Kentucky-Indiana,” King said. “We want to win every game, but we really want to beat Kentucky and get the ball rolling so we can perform well during our road trip.” \nCoach Stacy Phillips said the Hoosiers will need something that’s been missing to rebound against Kentucky.\n“Determination is one thing we’ll definitely need to get around this wall that we’ve hit,” she said.\nIn the last four games, the Hoosiers have allowed their offensive output to slip while giving up more runs than they have all season. This combination was deadly for Indiana last weekend when they faced Michigan and Michigan State, where they were shut out three times while being swept by both teams.\nPhillips said the Hoosiers have to be able to make plays in order to prevent this in their next game.\n“We have to keep the ball in the park,” Phillips said. “Giving up the long ball and not taking the opportunity to get outs really hurt us.”\nThe Hoosier defense and pitching slipped from its usually solid performances. King said they will be looking to improve on their recent performances today. She also said they have been practicing to change their inconsistencies.\n“We’ve been practicing really hard and our goal is to do everything possible to win,” King said. “We’re prepared to give everything it’ll take.”\nIndiana has been missing the presence of a clutch-hitter in their past few games. Since Tory Yamaguchi’s two-run shot to win the game against Evansville, the Hoosiers have only been able to post three points over a four-game span.\n Junior Kari Bettenbrock said the little things are what can give the Hoosiers a winning edge.\n“We have to be determined and take care of the little things,” Bettenbrock said. “Base hits, and being able to step up and putting players through when we have the chance to step up will help us. We basically have to do our jobs in order to win.”