world

Around the World

The military has found no criminal wrongdoing in the friendly fire death of Army Ranger Pat Tillman in Afghanistan. But it says there were critical errors in reporting the former NFL star’s death and failing to provide details to his family. Army and Defense Department investigators said Monday that officers looking into the incident passed along misleading and inaccurate information and delayed reporting their belief that Tillman was killed by his fellow soldiers. The investigators recommended the Army take action against the officers.

Iran said Monday it was questioning 15 British sailors and marines to determine if their alleged entry into Iranian waters was “intentional or unintentional” before deciding what to do with them. It was the first sign Iran could be seeking a way out of the standoff. The two countries continued to disagree about where the military personnel were seized Friday, with Britain insisting they were in Iraqi waters after searching a civilian cargo vessel and the Tehran regime saying it had proof they were in Iranian territory.

Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton on Monday dismissed any comparison between the firing last fall of eight U.S. attorneys with the replacement of 93 U.S. attorneys when her husband became president in 1993. She conceded that should she win the presidency in 2008, she likely would replace all of the U.S. attorneys appointed by President Bush. She said that’s merely following traditions in which presidents appoint prosecutors of their own party.\nClinton also on Monday vowed to create a universal health-care system if elected. She said on ABC’s “Good Morning America” that she “learned a lot” during the failed health care effort of her husband’s presidency. “I believe the American people are going to make this an issue,” Clinton said. “I believe we’re in a better position today to do that than we were in ‘93 and ‘94.”

The leaders of Northern Ireland’s major Protestant and Catholic parties, sitting side by side for the first time in history, announced a breakthrough deal Monday to forge a power-sharing administration May 8. The agreement followed 4 1/2 years of deadlock and unprecedented face-to-face negotiations between the British Protestants of Ian Paisley’s Democratic Unionist Party and the Irish Catholics of Gerry Adams’ Sinn Fein.