world

Around the world

Two leaders of an Albany, N.Y., mosque who were snared in an FBI sting involving a fictional terror strike were sentenced Thursday to 15 years in federal prison. The former imam, Yassin Aref, professed innocence before his sentencing and criticized the government’s treatment of Muslims.

A federal jury on Thursday found that Internet phone carrier Vonage Holdings Corp. had infringed on Verizon Communications Inc.’s patents and ordered Vonage to pay $58 million. The judgment is far less than the $197 million that Verizon had requested.

Japanese ruling party lawmakers will conduct a fresh investigation into the Japanese military’s forced sexual slavery of women during World War II, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said Thursday, under intense pressure from Asia and the United States.

A top Taliban commander said Wednesday the group has 4,000 fighters bracing to rebuff NATO’s largest-ever offensive in southern Afghanistan, now in its second day. Suicide bombers are ready, land mines have been planted and helicopters will be targeted, Mullah Abdul Qassim, a top Taliban commander in Helmand province told The Associated Press.

Nine people, including eight children, died in a New York City Bronx fire early Thursday. Twenty-two members of the extended family from the west African nation of Mali lived in the three-story house, the Mayor, Michael Bloomberg, said.

At least 10 civilians were killed and two peacekeepers were wounded in a a rocket-propelled grenade attack on African Union peacekeepers in the Somali capital, witnesses and hospital officials said Thursday.