Increase in IU international students mirrors national trend

University ahead of rising U.S. curve, behind 3 in Big Ten

The number of international students studying at U.S. universities is on the rise, and IU is no exception. \nSince fall 2005, IU has seen a 10 percent increase in foreign students, according to recent data from the International Student & Scholar Statistical Reports released by IU's Office of International Services. The number of international doctoral and MBA students is on the rise as well, with increases in the past year of 1.5 percent and 8.6 percent, respectively. \nJenny Bowen, assistant director for student services at the Office of International Services, said the University is pleased with the growing number of international students on IU's campus. Bowen said since 1999, the University has seen a 32 percent increase in international students, which is significantly higher than the national average of 9.7 percent. \nThere are currently 3,540 international students enrolled at IU, according to the report.\n"We are seeing increases in the number of international students on the Bloomington campus and IU is definitely ahead of the national curve," she said. "We are just thrilled."\nBowen said bringing international students to IU helps expose American students to other cultures while at the same time giving foreign students the chance to have a unique educational experience. Bowen said international students help enrich the campus in many ways and cited the large number of foreign students working as assistant instructors and teachers' assistants.\n"International students bring a great deal of talent and outside-the-box thinking to the University," she said.\nIU was ranked 17th on the list of Top 20 U.S. Institutions with the Largest Number of International Students. IU ranks below fellow Big Ten schools Purdue University, No. 3; University of Illinois, No. 6; University of Michigan, No. 7 and Ohio State University, No. 9, according to the Institute of International Education report. The University of Southern California ranked first on the list with 6,881 international students. \nBowen said it was former IU President Herman B Wells who initially started the idea of "bringing the world to Indiana." However, until a couple years ago, the University relied mainly on word of mouth to attract foreign students to IU, she said. \nThe number of international students enrolled at IU dropped for two years after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks because of concerns about travel safety, but began to rise again at the start of the fall 2003 semester, according to a Sept. 29, 2005 Indiana Daily Student article. \nToday IU has an international recruiter, Candice Progler, who helps attract international students to campus. Progler was unable to respond before press time.