Both swim teams honor seniors with wins

As the IU men's swimming and diving team honored its seniors on Senior Day, it was the underclassmen who stole the show. The Hoosiers topped Missouri 153-146 at Councilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center Saturday.\nThe meet started with a ceremony honoring the seven seniors.\n"It was a little sad going out there in my last home meet," senior Lee Houchin said. "I've had a lot of good times here and it's been a lot of fun."\nJuniors Pat Penoyar and John Kevin Koehler and sophomore Nick Walkotten lead the Hoosiers with three wins apiece. Penoyar and Walkotten were part of the winning 200-yard medley relay team along with Ben Hesen and Matt Lenton. \nOn the diving side, the Hoosiers dominated the 3-meter, taking the top four places. Taylor Roberts dove to another win and Will Bohonyi, David Legler and David Piercy rounded out the scoring. \n"We did a great job," assistant diving coach Todd Waikel said. "We usually train them right through dual meet competition, so it was really impressive that we had such a good performance today."\nOn the women's side, the seniors on the IU women's swimming and diving team were sent out in style as they led the Hoosiers to a 166-121 win over Missouri on Senior Day. The win moved IU's final record to 5-0 in dual-meet competition, which is only the second undefeated season in school history.\nSeniors Leila Vaziri and Annica Lofstedt led the way for the Hoosiers in their last home meet, with Vaziri winning four events and Lofstedt winning three. \n"It was a bit emotional, but in a good way," Lofstedt said. "I look back on four years here and there have been so many ups and downs. I was real happy with how I swam today though and we have a really good team this year."\nFreshman Cassie Luhrsen swam well in the distance events, winning the 500 and 1,650 yard freestyle. IU also got wins from Stockwell in the 100-yard breast stroke, Kristin Cihoski in the 100-yard backstroke, Amilee Smith in the 200-yard breast stroke, and Brittany Barwegen in the 200-yard butterfly. \n"We performed solidly," swimming coach Ray Looze said. "There were no letdowns and there were a few nice surprises. It was really nice to send the seniors out on a high note."\nOn the diving side, senior Lindsay Weigle dominated the competition, winning the 3-meter and the platform competitions. Freshman Brittney Yancey placed third in the 3-meter and senior Heather Chapman took second on the platform. \nAfter wrapping up the dual-meet season, the Hoosiers will head to the Big Ten Championships in Minneapolis from Feb. 8-10. While the Hoosiers still have two weeks to prepare, they have been training for the Big Ten all season long. \n"We're right on track," assistant diving coach Todd Waikel said. "We have to keep looking ahead and have the standards set high. I think we're headed towards a good competition at the Big Ten"