Ben Folds performs 'functionally' sold-out show tonight

It's being hailed as the "concert of the semester." A show so coveted that an eager fan bunkered up in a sleeping bag overnight in front of the IU Auditorium to get the best seats. A "functional sell out," with tickets so hot first-row seats are said to be selling for $260 a pair on eBay.\nPiano singer/songwriter Ben Folds comes to Bloomington "inspired" after spending October recording a full-length album to follow up the still fresh LP released two weeks ago. With the built-up excitement of dedicated fans clamoring for tickets combined with Fold's dynamic live show, the auditorium should be rocking tonight.\nUnion Board Concert Director Katie Ly said concert-goers "ate those tickets up" and that there's a lot of buzz about tonight's show.\n"I've been hearing it's the concert of the semester," Ly said. "We're so thrilled to get this show. Apparent by how quickly it sold out, there's such a high demand for it."\nAccording to allmusic.com, Folds led the trio Ben Folds Five from 1994 until they disbanded in 2000 as he went solo. The group released a self-titled album in 1995 but got national exposure with 1997's "Whatever and Ever Amen" with hits "Brick" and "Song for the Dumped." Folds has released eight full-length albums, including two live ones to show off his wild performances.\nFor the past couple months Folds has been touring, he has recorded a new album as well as compiled old material. On Oct. 24, Folds released the album Supersunnyspeedgraphic, a remixed combination of songs from previously released EPs with the addition of "Bitches Ain't Shit" and "Still."\nFolds wrote in his Aug. 21 Myspace.com blog that "every song on the album has more energy now and sounds better than it did to me on the EP's."\n"I'm just inspired right now. Sometimes I feel there's nothing going on in the music world that means much for me ... and those times it's harder to make music," he wrote.\nHe wrote in the late August post that he planned to be in the studio in October and piece the album together in the winter.\n"Right now, there's a lot of great stuff going on, and it makes me want to toss in my two cents worth and make an album," he wrote.\nFreshman Josh Webber arrived at the auditorium at 11 p.m. Sept. 7 and spent the night in a sleeping bag to ensure he was first in line for Folds tickets. Despite his efforts, the lottery system implemented placed him in the middle of the line, while some who had only spent two hours waiting got front-row seats.\nSenior Erica Scheer ended up with a slew of front row tickets despite showing up nine hours later than Webber.\n"At first we were pissed when we saw the line," she said. "Then, somehow, they called the lottery ticket of the person three (spots) in front of me, so we got front row seats. My friend sold a pair for like $260 on eBay."\nMany sporting arenas refer to their fans as the missing ingredient or "sixth man," implying their cheering adds a special element. When Folds takes the stage, it's expected he will call on the crowd. \nFor the song "Army," he often splits the audience in half and turns it into a horn section and backup singers. With grand, sweeping hand gestures, he has been known to have a crowd at his disposal as it offers layers of sound for him to pound the keys over. Folds is a big advocate of the sing-along, whether he's playing an original song or "Bitches Ain't Shit," a Dr. Dre cover he often performs. \nIU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said it is "functionally sold out," with only three seats remaining, but some tickets might be available once Folds picks up his VIP tickets. Booher advised checking the ticketmaster.com Web site to see availability throughout the day.\nSenior Shiralee Lewin will not have to worry about tickets because she got to the Auditorium at 8 a.m. Sept. 8 to get them and is dying to be a part of Folds' sing-along.\n"I rarely get excited over a concert, but I'm really excited for this one," Lewin said. "I love concerts where I know all the words to songs, and I know the words for this one."\nBased on Folds shows from the past few months, fans can expect to hear the hit song, "Brick" and Folds' version of "Bitches Ain't Shit," but Lewin said she has her heart set on another song. \n"I hope he plays 'Magic,'" she said. "That's one of my favorites. I get chills every time I hear it"