Frohlich, Fever catch fire in 71-65 win over Mercury

Catchings shuts down WNBA scoring leader Taurasi

INDIANAPOLIS -- Linda Frohlich's patience paid off for the Indiana Fever.\nThe German forward scored a career-high 15 points to help the Fever beat the Phoenix Mercury 71-65 on Tuesday.\nFrohlich, who was waived by the Charlotte Sting and Phoenix before coming to the Fever as a free agent, had scored only 36 points this season and stayed on the bench in 10 games. But she hit three 3-pointers against the Mercury, including one that gave Indiana the lead for good late in the game.\n"She's a good perimeter shooter," Fever coach Brian Winters said. "They played (zone) the majority of the game. We needed somebody to make some perimeter shots. She's capable."\nTamika Catchings, who led the Fever with 17 points, credited Frohlich with playing key minutes off the bench.\n"Now that she's done that she has some expectations to live up to," Catchings said.\nFrohlich said she has no problem with her role.\n"The coaches have their plan and being a part of this team, I just have to buy into their philosophy," she said. "It's frustrating, every player wants to play, but if you look at the big picture and see that it is good for the team. ... I'm just there to wait for my minutes."\nCatchings also shut down WNBA scoring leader Diana Taurasi, who failed to score in double figures for the first time since she was shut out in a game last season.\n"It's a great matchup for us defensively," Winters said. "(Taurasi) is a great offensive player and Tamika gives her a hard time."\nTaurasi, who came into the game averaging 24 points, finished with seven points on 3-of-14 shooting. She picked up three personal fouls and a technical in the first quarter.\nCatchings said it was difficult to keep up with the former Connecticut star.\n"She's a great player and the thing I have to focus on is getting to her fast," Catchings said. "She has a really quick release."\nPenny Taylor led the Mercury with 18 points and Kamila Vodichkova had 14.\nNeither team led by more than eight points. There were nine lead changes and five ties.\nFrohlich gave Indiana the lead for good 67-65 late in the fourth quarter with her third 3-pointer.\nTaurasi then missed a 3-pointer, and Tan White drove the length of the court for a layup that put the Fever ahead 69-65. Tamika Whitmore clinched the victory on two free throws with 29 seconds remaining.\nThe Mercury, who were averaging a league-high 84 points per game, were held to a season-low point total and shot 40.6 percent from the field. Phoenix also had a season-high 26 turnovers and Indiana scored 25 points off them.\nIndiana has now beaten Phoenix four consecutive times and won eight of their last nine meetings.\n"It comes down to making shots, maybe taking easier shots and putting them away," Taylor said. "If we just would have had a little bit more at either end"