No saving Silverman

Most will know comedienne Sarah Silverman from her many Friars Club Roasts and other Comedy Central appearances. But now with her own concert film, "Sarah Silverman: Jesus is Magic," audiences can take in her brilliance for longer than five minutes and without having to worry about a coked-out Courtney Love running on stage. \nBe forewarned the show isn't for the easily offended, though that pretty much goes with all comedy these days. Silverman tackles all the basic taboo subjects: racism, sex (her idea of birth control is having her boyfriend "cum all over my face"), religion ("yeah the Jews killed Jesus, and you know what, I'd do it again"), AIDS ("when God gives you AIDS… make lemonaids") and corporate America (she says American Airlines post 9/11 motto should be "American Airlines: first through the towers"). Silverman has this great, rare comedic talent to be able to so nonchalantly verbalize her offensive material and still sound like an adorable, innocent, seven-year-old. It should be noted that Silverman's performance isn't just straightforward jokes and monologues. Silverman is constantly putting on an act and presenting a bubbly persona. So those looking to get to know "the real" Sarah Silverman will be disappointed (though she is much more relaxed and factual on the commentary she shares with director Liam Lynch).\nIn an attempt to prolong the film, which barely reaches an hour, a few pre-filmed music video segments interrupt the concert. While the video portions are funny, they feel a little out of place due to their infrequency and scarcity. The stage's glittery background curtain is also annoying. I'm guessing the sequenced scenery is supposed to go along with Silverman's "yay, everything's shiny" personality but it's just plain distracting. \nSpecial features include a decent behind the scenes segment, trailers and commentary (director Lynch has nothing but irritating praise for everything). Also included are Silverman's holiday music video "Give the Jew Girl Toys" and her uproarious performance in the documentary "The Aristocrats," though the scene is better when intact with the rest of that film.\nUnion Board, you guys should really try to get Silverman to come to IU. Understandably she's a big name, who's probably hard to get a hold of, but I kind of have a big crush on her now, and I may become violent if I never see her live. So for my safety and the pleasure of all students, get to work. In the meantime, watch this magical DVD.