Naked Passion kicks off Bonnaroo (06.16.2006 - 2:51 PM)

A naked fan falling off the stage scaffolding, an endless sea of music, wild dancing, and top-notch comedy kicked off the first night of Bonnaroo.\nOverwhelming sights and sounds filled the endless acres of Bonnaroo in Manchester before the artists even began. Interactive art projects like drum making, glass blowing, and endless dancing hippies flood the camp grounds. \nNinety-five degree heat and hours of bumper to bumper traffic getting into the venue did little to quell the energy of raging music fans eager to see their favorite acts and check out new ones. \nGood god, dios (malos) rocked. The first night featured many unknown acts which left a lot to explore. dios (malos) rocked with the effortless sounding smooth crooning of their lead singer Joel Maroles backed up by a wild-eyed drummer and . \nAfter an over-zealous fan climbed the scaffolding of the stage only to fall 15 feet, Maroles wished him well and dedicated a song to him. The indie-pop band energized the crowd, ignited by the drummer who constantly flashed wild, sadistic eyes at the crowd as he mouthed the words the other three members sang. Often the band would stop mid-song to isolate Maroles' sweet singing, only to burst back full steam. \nComedian Patton Oswalt reached out and hugged an IU student, while pretending to be on acid, minutes before closing his bit to an immediate standing ovation at the midnight show. The comedian, famous for "King of Queens" and "Comedians of Comedy," killed at the late-night show, by attacking the very hippies there to see him. Telling the crowd that all dread wearing, bongo playing white boys have to die and wandering around the stage like a lost child, hugging audience members had the crowd in hysterics.\nThe opening night bands only give a glimpse of the eclectic, dynamic acts of Friday and Saturday. Keep posted for reviews and stories from Brazilian act Seu Jorge who performed at Lotus Festival this year, Ben Folds, Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Death Cab for Cutie, and a three and a half hour show by Tom Petty in addition to updates press conferences from numerous artists.\nRock On.