It's Emmy time again...

In March critics and audiences were shocked and unhappy when the Oscar unwisely went to "Crash." Sure the Academy deserved some criticism, but we should focus our anger on the Emmys, who for far too long have been making the wrong TV decisions. Hopefully July 6th Emmy nominations announcements bring good news. \nThis year the Emmys instituted a new voting system. Voters will now send in their top choices and then a separate panel will narrow down the most popular. This new approach gives rating challenged shows and cable series a better chance. Unfortunately it's too little, too late. Over the years the Emmys have snubbed too many worthy candidates and continued to honor the same few shows, long after most of them had run out of creative steam. Last year "Will and Grace," which hasn't been funny for years, was the top nominated show. Frequent winner "Everybody Loves Raymond" was consistently hilarious, but how many freaking awards did Doris Roberts need? So now even if five never-nominated, deserving nominees fill out the spots, there will still be a great number of snubs. Solution? Allow ties and more than five nominees in each category. This way past grievances are forgiven and present achievements are recognized. \nMany believe the new system exists to finally give Lauren Graham an award for "Gilmore Girls." And it's about damn time. In the show's six years it's only been nominated for Best Makeup (how generous) so hopefully it finally gets Emmy love. However instead of giving Graham the Best Lead Actress-Comedy award, why not speed up the process and give her a lifetime achievement award? That way more slots will be open in her category and "Gilmore" costars Kelly Bishop and Alexis Bledel have a shot too. \nAnd speaking of lifetime achievement awards a special award, due to its premature cancellation, should go to "Arrested Development" for Best Comedy Series of All Time*. The asterisk will denote "tied with 'I Love Lucy,' 'All in the Family' and 'Seinfeld,'" that way people don't get too pissed. The show took home Best Comedy Series, Best Directing and Best Writing back in 2004, however cast members Tony Hale, David Cross, Portia DiRossi, Will Arnett, Alia Shawkat and Michael Cera all have yet to be nominated.\nAccompanying "Arrested" for Best Comedy Series should be "The Office" (with acting nominations for Steve Carrell, Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer), "Entourage" (a Jeremy Piven nomination needs no explanation) and "Scrubs." "Scrubs" was finally nominated last year along with Zach Braff, but the rest of their ensemble cast (mainly John C. McGinley) are all members of the snub club. That leaves one spot left. I'd be content with any of four freshman comedies: "My Name is Earl" (Jason Lee and Jaime Pressly are shoo-ins), "Everybody Hates Chris," the cruelly canceled "The Comeback" and "Extras" (though with only six episodes in its season voters may think it too little). However Showtime's "Weeds," "Desperate Housewives" (even though most will think its quality has dropped), or "Will and Grace" (for parting reasons) will probably take it.\n"Desperate" causes a big problem. The show should be submitted in the drama categories, but instead it's entered as a comedy. All its actresses are submitted in the lead category instead of splitting them up into lead and supporting. Last year Felicity Huffman deservedly took home the award, but she and Eva Longoria should have been put in the supporting category, that way Huffman could take home the supporting and Marcia Cross could win the leading. But because they were grouped together Longoria was ignored. Longoria was the best thing about this season so she deserves a win. Teri Hatcher should be left out just for her continuous complaining of her Ryan Seacrest break-up (do you think he said "Seacrest out?") \nOld favorite "Curb Your Enthusiasm" will likely have to sit this award season out. The show is amazing, but this season was real weak. I've never been fazed by Larry David's outrageous behavior, but even I was a little disgusted when he accused a woman of hiding a baseball in her vagina. \nAs far as the dramas go, "Lost" amazes me and I'll have no problem if it takes home Best Drama Series again. But with Emmy favorites "The West Wing" and "Six Feet Under" finishing their runs, expect them to sweep many major categories. Obviously "The Sopranos" (thanks to the dorms not having HBO I've yet to see the sixth season) will get acknowledgment, along with past nominee "24" and HBO newcomer "Big Love." Critics are pulling for "Battlestar Galactica" but due to it being on the Sci-Fi Channel it doesn't stand much of a chance. Expect "Grey's Anatomy" to pull in nominees for its strong female supporting cast along with directing, writing and Best Series.\nHopefully the new system works and I'll shed a tear of joy as Lauren Graham accepts her award, but something tells me I'll be watching Debra Messing and crew at the podium all night. Oh well, at least they tried.