BPD: Man admits to stabbing

Police make arrest on suspicion of attempted murder and robbery

Bloomington police arrested Chad A. Luck on preliminary charges of attempted murder and armed robbery resulting in serious body injury early Sunday Morning, according to a press release BPD Captain Joe Qualters issued.\nAt about 5:30 a.m., a 32-year-old clerk at the Ramada Limited Motel on North Walnut Street who had just returned from a break was attacked from behind with a knife, said Qualters, citing the victim's police report. In the report, the victim said the suspect slashed at his neck with a knife until he fell to the ground.\nQualters said the victim reported that he then heard the suspect attempting to open the cash drawer. He said when the suspect returned, he told him he could not trust him not to reveal his identity. The victim reported that he was struck with an unknown object and passed out.\nQualters said BPD received a tip from a member of Luck's family later that morning, indicating that he wanted to turn himself in. He said Luck met with Bloomington police and confessed, saying he "was familiar with" the clerk and had visited him earlier that morning to try to convince him to give him money from the drawer. Qualters said Luck told police he needed the money to pay bills that could not be paid because of drug purchases. \nQualters said Luck told police the clerk had refused to give him any money, so he returned later to take the \nmoney, thinking he would be gone. He said Luck admitted to "confronting" the clerk with a knife, and said he later returned with a gun and shot at him, fearing his identity would be revealed.\nLuck is being held in the Monroe County Jail without bond, Qualters said.\nQualters said the clerk was transported to Bloomington Hospital and later moved to Wishard Hospital in Indianapolis and received treatment for the knife wounds on his neck and treatment for a gunshot wound, as well. He said he is listed in stable condition at Wishard.