IU fashion shows fill weekend

This weekend, IU hopes to highlight some of the finest moments of both the spring semester and the University's fashion history. The events begin with the Apparel Merchandising Organization fashion show at 8 p.m. tonight at the IU Auditorium. This year's show is titled "Rockin' the runway: a history of '80s fashion," and will include looks from Charlotte Russe, Cha Cha, JR Stallsmith & CO and Urban Outfitters. \nThe show, which will include looks put together by AMO members and apparel merchandising majors will also include designs from fashion design students as well. Students junior Liz McKearn, senior Bailey Redick and senior Dorothy Shestak are sure to be a hit as well as everybody's favorite part of the show: the tutu parade. \nThe parade consists of tutus designed by costume construction technology majors, which will allow the creative talent and skill that is hidden in the sewing lab most of the year to shine on the runway. Junior Weronika Gierlak, who is involved with producing the show, said she is excited about the event and the silent auction which will have some of the best items to bid on to date. Sponsors for the auction include a list of designer goods including Betsey Johnson dresses, Coach handbags, The North Face jackets and more. The auction starts at 7 p.m., prior to the show. There will also be an opening performance by the IU B-boys and break dance team.\nThe Black Student Union fashion show will begin 8 p.m. Friday at the Willkie Auditorium. The show is a celebration of pop culture, urban fashion and the flair of black style that is unique to IU. Instead of models coming down a runway, the show has scenes which are based on different looks and music. The title of this year's show is "Unpredictable: Giving you something we've never done before" and will include looks such as: throwback, workout, casual, political and formal fashions. \nThis is the 6th Annual BSU fashion show and I am sure it will be as hot as T.I's new movie "ATL: A New American Story." There is no doubt that fashionistas from the BSU show will turn the opening night of "ATL" into a Bloomington fashion event that will celebrate black culture and the rise of a new African-American generation. \nThe third show of the weekend will take place at Second Story Nightclub after the BSU show at midnight on Friday night. The show is expected to be influenced by counter-culture fashion and the mod look -- seen manifesting itself all over girls and guys on campus. Students and non-students will reflect a look not usually represented at IU. Many of the designers for the show are not fashion designing students, but their passion for fashion is undeniable. One such designer and a friend of mine, junior Melissa Harrold, said she is excited about the show and is experiencing the trials and tribulations of a professional designer. \n"I have so much today two of my looks aren't even done yet," she said. \nHarrold, who was also pictured in the May 2004 issue of the Women's Wear Daily's college issue, has a style that represents the individual side of fashion not obsessed with designer labels. I have confidence that this thoroughbred fashionista, who was clad in skinny 80s style jeans, a cropped military jacket, striped shirt and vintage style pink flats when I talked to her, will not miss a beat when she presents her designs on Friday night. \nSo there you have it: a weekend full of fashion for Bloomington residents and IU students to enjoy. It is sure to be as flavorful and sumptuous as a triple scoop of ice cream.