Monroe County Sheriff's Department reports

Kindergartener collides with car at school bus stop

A 6-year-old Templeton Elementary student ran into a passing vehicle while crossing the road to catch the school bus Tuesday morning, a police report states.\nAccording to the Monroe County Sheriff's Department, which received the call at 8:25 a.m., the girl was crossing Rolling Ridge Way when she ran into the side of a northbound car. The driver of the vehicle, Kirsten Paster, reported hearing a thump on the right rear passenger side of her car. When she stopped and looked behind her she saw a pedestrian lying on the roadway, the report said.\nWitnesses said the child had just gotten out of a parked vehicle and did not look before beginning to cross the road. Her mother was also getting out of the vehicle, but when she saw the car driving by she shut her door and was unable to stop her daughter.\nThe school bus that collects the students on Rolling Ridge Way must drive past the bus stop every morning and turn around before picking them up. It was during this turn-around period, when students were getting out of their parents' parked vehicles to wait at the bus stop, that the incident occurred.\nAn ambulance was called, and the student was reported as being fine, suffering from scuffed legs. The car was undamaged. Had the car hit the child instead, the impact would have killed her, the sheriff's department said.