CAMPUS QUIZ

Answer: Dunn Cemetery

Though probably the least lively spot on campus, Dunn Cemetery is also one of the most exclusive -- even deceased songwriter and IU alumnus Hoagy Carmichael was denied entrance. \nAccording to an IDS article from September 1978, Carmichael requested a plot in the cemetery, but was denied permission because only descendents of the sisters Ellenor Dunn, Nancy Alexander and Jane Irwin may be buried in the area, also referred to as "God's Acre." \nThe cemetery, located between the Indiana Memorial Union and Beck Chapel, is not owned by IU. According to a copy of the deed to Dunn Cemetery written by George Dunn in 1855, the land is to be used for the "perpetual dedication for the sole and exclusive purpose and use of private burial ground." \nAccording to an Indiana Daily Student article from February 2004, the University purchased several acres of land from the Dunn family after a fire, but was required to build around the plot dedicated to the cemetery. As recently as two years ago, descendent Marilyn Seward was buried in the area. \nDoris Marie Seward said in an IDS article from January 1983 that she had her gravestone prepared early for her plot in the cemetery. In hopes that she would live until the year 2000, she had the stone marked "1917-20" so the last two numerals could be added upon her death. \n"They can just put dashes through the '20' and engrave underneath, 'She was an optimist,'" she said, in reference to the possibility that she could pass away before the year 2000. \nSeward died in September 1999, and the numerals "2" and "0" have a line through them with the year 1999 engraved underneath. \n"She was an optimist" is also inscribed on the stone.