GRIP IT and RIP IT

As he approaches the 18th green after a decent approach shot, freshman Matt Oppenheimer is more concerned with the break of his putt rather than the books waiting for him when he returns to his dorm. Oppenheimer is one of many students taking advantage of the IU Golf Course during the spring and fall months.\n"I like coming out and playing between classes when I am able to," Oppenheimer said. "It is convenient to have such a nice course close by to come out and play."\nIn the spring golf enthusiasts can attack an 18-hole course, a par-3 course or a lighted driving range. The course also offers a chipping and putting green to improve short games. \nWhen the weather gets nice, many students head over to the course to squeeze in nine holes or hit balls on the driving range. April is the most popular month for student traffic on the course, with September a close second, but usage declines after students begin to hit the books, said Mike Mayer, men's golf head coach and director of golf at IU.\n"This time of year is student-dominated for us here at the course," Mayer said. "Students make up about 35 percent of our total play during the year."\nThe IU Golf Course is located on the Indiana 45/46 Bypass between 10th and 17th streets and is open seven days a week for both student and nonstudent golfers. \n"The practice facilities here at Indiana are pretty good," freshman Chris Eline said. "When the course gets in better shape, I will probably play more."\nStudents receive a significant discount for play on the 18-hole and the par-3 courses; play on the 18-hole course costs $13 on weekdays and $15 on weekends for students who walk instead of renting a golf cart. For nonstudent walkers, the rates are $22 on weekdays and $25 on weekends. Students and nonstudents who would rather not walk can rent a cart for $12. The course enforces a dress code that recommends collared shirts and prohibits cutoffs and tank tops.\nThe IU Golf Course offers many opportunities for students to play golf and to improve their golf game with group and individual instruction. The School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation offers three one-credit golf classes taught by members of the golf team coaching staff and the assistant professionals at the course.\n"These golf classes offered through HPER are very popular," Mayer said. "It's a good way for students to get relatively inexpensive golf instruction."\nHPER offers classes for golfers of every skill level. The beginning class stresses the basics of golf, the intermediate level works on the mechanics of the swing, and the advanced level teaches students course management. The advanced classes are for higher-level students and members of the community.\n"The class was helpful because it forced me to hit every day," junior Lindsay Armour said. "My instructor was very helpful."\nThe course has many tight fairways with trees that could obstruct the flight of the ball, and it features many doglegs that can trip up the most skilled golfer. The course is home to both the men's and women's golf teams and is the scene of many collegiate tournaments, including the Big Ten Championships.\nContact the IU Golf Course at 855-7543 for tee times or to schedule group or individual lessons.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.