Preparing for spring break requires careful planning

In haste to depart, students often forget vacationing essentials

Spring break can be a time of forgetfulness of all things school related. But with careful planning and budgeting, it can be a trip to remember.\nIt's important to include essentials when packing for spring break. Mia Martin, the branch manager of STA Travel on Kirkwood Avenue said students should pack more than their swimsuits and tanning lotion.\n"Sunscreen, flip-flops, beach hats and pieces of identification, like a driver's license and passport, are really important," she said. "Students forget this stuff all the time when they go on spring break."\nDressing appropriately for tropical weather is a major consideration. Lauren Chaney, the assistant manager of the newly opened Charlotte Russe in the College Mall, had many suggestions for women. She said items should be versatile.\n"You'll need a good pair of flip-flops that you can wear with a variety of outfits, as well as a versatile spring dress, denim skirts and sunglasses," she said.\nFor the men, Kathy Krzepinski, a Softlines executive for Target, said basic items never go out of style. Versatility in clothing was also important for them.\n"Of course, you have to pack a pair of swim trunks and flip flops," she said. "You also need a good pair of jeans."\nClothing aside, assistant manager of Wal-Mart Frank Sorenson said people should not forget to pack necessities, such as toiletries. \n"Be sure to have travel shampoo, contact solution -- stuff like that," Sorenson said. "You'll definitely need it."\nHowever, travelers should also concern themselves with certain materials that can't exactly be packed. Martin stressed the importance of traveler's insurance. She said STA travel often makes sure their customers have insurance before they leave.\n"I highly recommend getting it, especially if you're bringing expensive jewelry, cameras or computers. Once the stuff is gone, it's gone," she said. "In fact, we make most of the people who book trips with us get it."\nSometimes in addition to a little insurance, students might also look to pack a bit of luck. Las Vegas is a popular spot this year, in part because of television shows such as "Celebrity Poker" on Bravo. Senior P.J. Kenison is one of many IU students traveling to Sin City this Spring Break. He said he plans on gambling, and that means bringing at least one dressier outfit.\n"I'm bringing lots of cash -- you have to, it's Vegas," he said. "I guess one difference between going to Las Vegas and somewhere like Florida is that I'm bringing a dressier outfit to wear out when I go to a nice casino, like the Bellagio."\nOf course, travelers want to bring back reminders of their trip. In addition to T-shirts and shot glasses, many unique souvenir options are available to spring breakers.\nºKenison said he isn't taking a gamble on tacky souvenirs. He said he prefers items that are more interesting.\n"I would never buy a T-shirt with 'Las Vegas' on it, and definitely no snow globes," he said. "I'd get something interesting -- like a deck of Bellagio playing cards."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Kama Korvela at kkorvela@indiana.edu.