Student arrested on rape, confinement charges

Police: Sexual assault suspect held on $20,000 bond

An IU student was arrested Tuesday and charged with rape and confinement, Bloomington Police Department officials said. \nStallone Lubanga, 24, a student from Kenya, is being held at the Monroe County Correctional Center with a $20,000 security bond for an alleged sexual assault incident that took place after a woman visited his apartment late Monday night.\nBPD Cpt. Joseph Qualters said that, according to the police report, Lubanga invited the victim, an 18-year-old woman, and two of her friends to his home in Sterling University Apartments located at 500 S. Park Ridge Road late Monday night. \n"They went there for a party, and upon arrival, they found only the suspect and another male," Qualters said, citing the police report.\nAt approximately 1:30 a.m. Tuesday, the victim asked to use the bathroom, which is attached to Lubanga's bedroom. When she came out, Lubanga reportedly confronted her.\n"He then threatened to harm her if she didn't have sex with him," Qualters said. "She was extremely fearful and went with him."\nAccording to the report, Lubanga then disrobed the victim and held her down on his bed while he sexually assaulted her. She repeatedly said "no," Qualters said.\nThe victim's friends reportedly became concerned at how long she had been in the bathroom, unaware of the sexual assault, and beat on the door. When the woman left the bedroom, she told her friends about the assault, and they immediately left. \nThe victim contacted police at 1:59 a.m. Lubanga was arrested later Tuesday morning and questioned by police. \nQualters said Lubanga's nationality would not affect police operations.\n"He's subject to the same laws of Indiana as any other individual," he said.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said the University has taken "absolutely no action" on Lubanga.\n"Incidents like this usually result in criminal court action," McKaig said. "University involvement needs to await the judicial processing."\nMcKaig also said Lubanga's status as an international student would not "affect the way the campus judicial system acts," though he did acknowledge any punishment could be more severe given the circumstances. \n"If an international student were suspended, obviously the consequences are much different than if a student were from Bedford (Ind.), for example," McKaig said. "But the judicial system is still the same." \nAccording to the IU Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities and Conduct, the University reserves the right to discipline students for off-campus sexual assault offenses.\n-- Contact senior writer Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu .