IU travels for final away games

Team looks for momentum for Big Ten tournament

Hoping to further capitalize on a 3-1 record during its six-game road trip, including an overtime win Tuesday against Miami University in Ohio, the IU field hockey team will face Central Michigan University and Big Ten power No. 3 ranked Michigan State this weekend. IU looks to gain momentum as the two matchups occur two weeks away from the Big Ten tournament in Evanston, Ill. \nDespite a 6-7 record, Central Michigan comes off a 3-0 victory over Miami, pushing the Chippewas' record to 3-4 in the Mid-American Conference. Forwards Kristy Reed and Allyson Doan lead the Chippewas' offense. Doan achieved a bronze medal at the 2002 Junior Olympics, while Reed is a returning starter who totaled 30 points in 2003, including 12 goals and six assists. Between the pipes for Central Michigan is sophomore Danielle Frank, who has posted two shutouts this year for the Chippewas. \nMichigan State, the Big Ten co-leader, is 13-2 in this season, including a 3-1 record within the conference. Yet, the one loss came in overtime last Saturday against Michigan as the Wolverines scored the first and only goal to triumph over MSU. The Spartans will face Iowa Friday before playing the Hoosiers at the end of the weekend. This match is especially personal for IU, as MSU eliminated the Hoosiers from tournament play last year, 3-1. \n"We've thought about them all year long," IU Coach Amy Robertson said. "Michigan showed they have vulnerability, but still they set the standard for the Big Ten." \nThe IU offense will try to get past two-time 2004 Defensive Player of the Week goalkeeper Christina Kirkaldy. Kirkaldy has posted five shutouts this season, adding to her career 11 shutouts. \nWith four games remaining in the season, IU looks to add to its school record of nine wins this weekend. Leading the offense, sophomore Lydia Schrott has scored a team-high 20 points with a career-high 35 points in her two years at IU. Schrott and classmate Jodi Murphy have led the Hoosier attack this year and look to make the difference from last year's loss to MSU. \n"We need to capitalize on penalty corners," Murphy said. "Everyone has a crucial role and we must make our shots on goal." \nMichigan State has led the all-time series over IU, 6-0, while Central Michigan has split a two game series with IU. \nSo far winless in conference play, IU tries to keep its Big Ten tournament hopes alive with a perfect weekend in Michigan. Goalkeeper Kate Kanara and backfield Morgan Albini hope to put an end to the Hoosiers' 0-5 record in the Big Ten while remaining a large presence in the conference. \n"Both teams are beatable, and if we could come away with two wins this weekend, it would give us a better seed going into the tournament," Albini said. \nThe Hoosiers will travel to Mt. Pleasant, Mich., to face the Chippewas at 3 p.m. Friday and square off versus Michigan State 1 p.m. Sunday in East Lansing, Mich., hoping to capitalize off of a defeated Spartan squad. \n-- Contact staff writer Andrew Shaffer at asshaffe@indiana.edu