Nothin' but greatness

And that, my friends, is why football is the greatest game on earth ...\nBecause two weeks of interviews, workouts, practices and preparation comes down to one snap, one hold and one mighty kick. \nBecause just in case you thought Adam Vinatieri's 2002 Super Bowl-winning kick was a fluke, he did it again.\nBecause a quarterback from Michigan is able to win a big game -- twice! \nBecause the Panthers, who this season were a perfect 7-0 in games decided by three points or less, reached the Super Bowl and lost by three. \nBecause your team could finish 1-15 and still have realistic dreams of being in the Super Bowl in two years. \nBecause at halftime, Justin Timberlake, a man most guys love to hate -- did us our biggest favor to date. Sorry Ms. Jackson. \nBecause the Panthers played like they forgot the Patriots had not lost since Sept. 28.\nBecause you could be quarterback of the Frankfurt Galaxy in the NFL Europe league and five years later play in a game watched nationwide by 140 million people. \nBecause what the commercials lacked in humor and the halftime music in entertainment, the actual game made up for it. \nBecause people who were unaware that Carolina even had a football franchise were rooting for the underdog Panthers.\nBecause Patriot fans didn't have to worry about Grady Little yanking Brady before the final drive. \nBecause two years ago, you were cheering for the Pats for the same reason you were hoping Vinatieri's kick on Sunday sliced right. \nAmerica is a worldwide superpower, but when it comes to sports, America loves the underdog. We love to hear about a once grocery store bagger turned two-time MVP. \nWe love that we can barely name anyone on the NFL's only undefeated team. \nWhile baseball may be America's pastime, football is this country's greatest game. For four hours on Sunday, we gathered with our nearest and dearest and forgot that football is just a game.\nIt's a game that's played on what should be declared a national holiday. \nMemorial Day, Labor Day and Super Bowl Sunday. It just sounds right. \nIn truth, it's a day centered around football, family and food -- and would it not seem right to call a day a national holiday and not have snow on the ground?\nThe Super Bowl is our nation's most prestigious sporting event.\nFor instance, Chicago is home to basketball's greatest player ever and a dynasty that won six NBA championships, but no Chicagoan is prouder of anything than the '86 Bears. \nTell someone from Chi-town Jordan is not the greatest ever, and they won't care, but don't even dare to deny the '86 Bears were not the greatest defense. \nAnd greatness is what Sunday's game delivered. For one day everywhere, regardless of our differences, all of us around the country gathered and shared in hope of seeing greatness.\nThe snap, the hold, the kick ...\nAnd greatness is what we got.