Cornel West to speak on race tonight at Auditorium

Renowned author, 'Matrix' actor to sign books after speech

Cornel West, a renowned intellectual, best-selling author, recording artist and "Matrix" actor, will speak at 7 p.m. tonight in the IU Auditorium.\nAdmission to West's lecture, "Race and Democracy," is free and open to the entire Bloomington community. \nVice Chancellor of Multicultural Affairs Gloria Gibson, whose office partnered with Union Board to bring West to campus, said judging from the number of phone calls her office has received, interest in the lecture is high.\n"Cornel West is one of the leading scholars in our country and one of the foremost thinkers of our time," Gibson said. "His work covers a multitude of disciplines including African-American studies, philosophy, religion and politics. I'm certain he'll challenge us to think about issues in a new way and that lecture will be challenging as well as inspiring."\nCriminal Justice Professor Dennis Rome said he's had the opportunity to hear West speak numerous times before and although his work is very theoretical, West still manages to keep it from becoming intimidating to the average listener. \n"He speaks to all audiences," Rome said, "His delivery is very animated. He reminds me of the old school preacher in a way. It's not distracting. It actually helps bring the issues home in a way that only he can do."\nRome said West's work is particularly important now because he shows how racism still functions in America. \n"Racism is disguised in many ways and I think he can assist students in understanding the dynamics involved in covert institutionalized racism," Rome said. \nWest, who is currently a professor of religion and African American studies at Princeton University, has written over 20 books including the 1993 best-seller "Race Matters." \nWest's writing ranges from academic books such as, "The American Evasion of Philosophy: A Genealogy of Pragmatism," which deals with the work of Ralph Waldo Emerson, to books written for a more general audience. "Race Matters" contains accessible essays, dealing with topics including nihilism within black America and relations between blacks and Jewish people. \nIn 2001 West released the CD, "Sketches of My Culture," which features spoken word rhyme set to funk beats. West also appeared in the "The Matrix Reloaded" and "The Matrix: Revolutions" as one of the councillors of Zion. \nUnion Board Marketing Committee Director Sarah O'Brien said West's unique thinking on race and democracy coupled with his dramatic speaking style were what prompted her organization to help sponsor the event.\nO'Brien also said West's message works well with Union Board's commitment to bringing diverse voices to campus. \nAfter his lecture, West will be available to sign any of his books at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center.