city crime & courts

Two separate incidents of shots fired occur over Little 500 weekend

Crime Filler

The Bloomington Police Department responded to two separate incidents of shots fired in Bloomington over Little 500 weekend.  

BPD responded to a shooting around 10:55 p.m. April 19 at an apartment on South Curry Pike. According to a BPD news release, 911 caller reported a person had been shot. The caller said the suspects were last seen running from the apartment headed south. Officers responded and immediately provided medical care to the victim, a 56-year-old Bloomington man.  

The man was transported to an area hospital for treatment of multiple gunshot wounds. BPD Captain Ryan Pedigo said the man is stable and officers were able to interview him. He is still hospitalized.   

A BPD officer saw two suspects, a woman and a man, walking a tree line between the Highland Village Church and Kroger parking lot. The officer approached the two, and they began running. The officer took the woman in custody and officers chased the man on foot to the rear of Kroger. Officers found the man and took him into custody. They found a handgun nearby wrapped in a sweatshirt.  

The two suspects — Annabella Winter, a 19-year-old Bloomington woman, and Devance Gayles, a 35-year-old Michigan City man — were transported to BPD for interviews and then to the Monroe County Jail. 

Gayles was remanded for attempted murder level. 1, burglary level. 1, possession of a firearm by a serious violent felon level. 4, criminal recklessness level. 5 and pointing a firearm level. 6.  

Winter was remanded for resisting law enforcement and an outstanding arrest warrant.  

BPD officers also responded to reports of gunshots at 12:42 a.m. on April 20 near North Dunn and 17th Street. IUPD officers heard gunshots around 12:40 a.m. in a nearby parking lot, according to IU Public Safety Communications Manager Mary Keck. 

Pedigo said the residents of the apartment told BPD officers they were hosting a party when they found an unknown man and woman in a resident's bed. The residents told them they needed to leave, and the man began to argue. As he was leaving, he tried to fight people at the party. The man later fired a handgun in the air before fleeing the scene. The residents described him as a Black man in his mid 20s wearing a blue jersey, but officers did not locate him.  

BPD officers located two bullet shells in a nearby parking lot. Around 1 p.m. April 20, a resident of a nearby apartment reported to BPD that he discovered a bullet that entered his upstairs bedroom, according to Pedigo.  

IUPD is asking those who have any information about this incident to call 911.