on the SIDELINES

Stadler wins SBC Championship\nSAN ANTONIO -- Craig Stadler shot a 4-under 67 to win the $1.5 million SBC Championship by four strokes over Bob Gilder Sunday, the largest margin in tournament history.\nStadler finished with a 15-under 198 on the 6,661-yard course at Oak Hills Country Club, and picked up the $225,000 first-place check.\nIt was the third Champions Tour victory for Stadler this year, his first on the tour. He previously won the Ford Senior Players Championship and the Greater Hickory Classic. In July, Stadler won the B.C. Open on the PGA Tour.\nStadler had an eagle, three birdies and a bogey in the final round Sunday.\nGilder, runner-up for the third year in a row, shot a 2-under 69 in the final round to finish at 11 under. Allen Doyle (66) was another two shots back in third. Defending champion Dana Guigley shot final-round 4 under to finish at 3-under 210.\nArnold Palmer shot his age Sunday, a 3-over 74 for a 12-over 225.

Price finally right for Hall of Fame\nST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The World Golf Hall of Fame wasn't on the radar, at least not the one Nick Price was looking at while serving in the Rhodesian Air Force in the late 1970s.\nGolf's premier shotmaker took his share of shots -- the kind that go whizzing past the ear -- while flying in a helicopter across the country to quell various uprisings.\n"I spent two years in the Air Force. That was good fun, except for being shot at," Price said. "I fired back a few times, but I didn't know where I was shooting."\nHe didn't know where life would lead as his Air Force stint was ending. Price's mother encouraged him to build on his amateur success, to give professional golf a try to see if he was good enough. If not, he could find another career.